Defining one matrix in terms of another in Mathematica with FOR loop

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of defining a matrix M in terms of a predefined matrix N. The individual is attempting to use a for loop to set the diagonal elements of M to be the first row of N, but is encountering difficulties. Others suggest using built-in matrix methods and provide alternative ways to create the desired matrix. The conversation also includes tips on efficient matrix construction and references to further resources.
AxiomOfChoice
THIS ISN'T WORKING AT ALL!

I'm trying to define a matrix M in terms of a predefined matrix N by using the following for loop:

For[a=1,a<=12,a++,M[[a,a]]=N[[1,a]]]

So I just want the diagonal of M to be the first row of N. But this is not working at ALL. Does anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/N.html" , N[Pi]=3.1415...
If you want to use a symbol that looks like N, the easiest is \[CapitalNu] that can be entered using <esc>N<esc>.

Second, you need to set the off diagonal elements of M, not just the diagonal.

Finally, it's more efficient to use built in matrix/array methods than using For loops.

Here's a 12*12 random integer matrix and a 12*12 zero matrix:

Code:
Mat1 = RandomInteger[{-10, 10}, {12, 12}];
Mat2 = ConstantArray[0, {12, 12}];

To implement a loop like the one that you wanted, try

Code:
Do[Mat2[[a, a]] = Mat1[[1, a]], {a, 1, Length@Mat2}]

Ouput the matrix and check that it's correct:

Code:
Mat2 // MatrixForm
Diagonal[Mat2] == First[Mat1]

(* Returns (for the particular random matrix that I got):
-1	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0
0	9	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0
0	0	-4	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0
0	0	0	-2	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0
0	0	0	0	1	0	0	0	0	0	0	0
0	0	0	0	0	2	0	0	0	0	0	0
0	0	0	0	0	0	2	0	0	0	0	0
0	0	0	0	0	0	0	9	0	0	0	0
0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	9	0	0	0
0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	-4	0	0
0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	3	0
0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	7

True *)

Probably the best way to create the matrix Mat2 would be to use

Code:
DiagonalMatrix[First@Mat1]

But other options are

Code:
IdentityMatrix[12] First[Mat1]
Array[If[#1 == #2, Mat1[[1, #]], 0] &, {12, 12}]
Array[KroneckerDelta[##] Mat1[[1, #]] &, {12, 12}]
SparseArray[Band[{1, 1}] -> First@Mat1, {12, 12}] // Normal
(* etc... *)

See the Constructing matrices http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/guide/ConstructingMatrices.html" for more info.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Defining one matrix in terms of another in Mathematica with FOR loop

1. How do I define one matrix in terms of another using a FOR loop in Mathematica?

To define one matrix, let's call it matrix A, in terms of another matrix, let's call it matrix B, using a FOR loop in Mathematica, you can use the following syntax:

A = Table[For[i = 1, i <= n, i++, B[[i, i]]], {n, 1, Length[B]}]

2. Can I define multiple matrices in terms of each other using a FOR loop in Mathematica?

Yes, you can define multiple matrices in terms of each other using a nested FOR loop. For example, if you have matrices A, B, and C, you can define A in terms of B and C using the following syntax:

A = Table[For[i = 1, i <= n, i++, B[[i, i]] + C[[i, i]]], {n, 1, Length[B]}]

3. How do I use a conditional statement with a FOR loop to define a matrix in Mathematica?

You can use the If statement within a FOR loop to define a matrix based on a condition. For example, if you want to define a matrix A with values only in the first row of matrix B, you can use the following syntax:

A = Table[For[i = 1, i <= n, i++, If[i == 1, B[[i, i]], 0]], {n, 1, Length[B]}]

4. Can I use a FOR loop to define a matrix with a different increment than 1 in Mathematica?

Yes, you can specify the increment in a FOR loop in Mathematica by adding a third argument after the loop variable and the range. For example, if you want to define a matrix A with values from 1 to 10 with an increment of 2, you can use the following syntax:

A = Table[For[i = 1, i <= 10, i+=2, i], {n, 1, Length[B]}]

5. How do I avoid overwriting values in a matrix when defining it in terms of another matrix using a FOR loop in Mathematica?

You can avoid overwriting values in a matrix by using a temporary variable within the FOR loop. For example, if you want to define matrix A in terms of matrix B without overwriting any values in matrix B, you can use the following syntax:

A = Table[For[i = 1, i <= n, i++, temp = B[[i, i]]; A[[i, i]] = temp], {n, 1, Length[B]}]