Define $f: \mathbb{Z} \to \mathbb{Z}: f^{-1}(\left\{0,1,2\right\})$

In summary: So we get $0$ from $0^2$, $1$ from $1^2$, and $-1$ from $(-1)^2$. Hence, the inverse of $ \left\{0,1,2\right\}$ under $f$ is $ \left\{0,-1,1\right\}$, where $f$ is defined as $f(n) = n^2$ for all $n \in \mathbb{Z}$. In summary, the inverse of $f$ for the set $ \left\{0,1,2\right\}$ is $ \left\{0,-1,1\right\}$, according to the definition of $
Guest2
Define $f: \mathbb{Z} \to \mathbb{Z}$ via $f(n) = n^2$ for all $n \in \mathbb{Z}$. Why does $f^{-1}(\left\{0,1,2\right\}) = \left\{0,-1,1\right\}$? The definition I'm using is $f^{-1}{(T)} = \left\{a \in A: f(a) \in T \right\}$ so we have $f^{-1}({ \left\{0,1,2\right\} }) = \left\{n \in \mathbb{Z}: n^2 \in \left\{0,1,2\right\} \right\}$. So I could think about this as all the integers whose squares is the set $ \left\{0,1,2\right\}$ but nothing I square would give me $2$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Guest said:
Define $f: \mathbb{Z} \to \mathbb{Z}$ via $f(n) = n^2$ for all $n \in \mathbb{Z}$. Why does $f^{-1}(\left\{0,1,2\right\}) = \left\{0,-1,1\right\}$? The definition I'm using is $f^{-1}{(T)} = \left\{a \in A: f(a) \in T \right\}$ so we have $f^{-1}({ \left\{0,1,2\right\} }) = \left\{n \in \mathbb{Z}: n^2 \in \left\{0,1,2\right\} \right\}$. So I could think about this as all the integers whose squares is the set $ \left\{0,1,2\right\}$ but nothing I square would give me $2$.

Hi Guest,

Indeed, no integer squares to $2$, which is why there is no inverse of $2$.
It's not the set of integers whose squares is the set $ \left\{0,1,2\right\}$, but the set of integers that have squares in the set $ \left\{0,1,2\right\}$.

Related to Define $f: \mathbb{Z} \to \mathbb{Z}: f^{-1}(\left\{0,1,2\right\})$

1. What is the domain and codomain of the function f?

The domain is the set of all integers, denoted by ℤ, and the codomain is also the set of all integers, denoted by ℤ.

2. What is the meaning of f^-1({0,1,2})?

This notation represents the inverse image or preimage of the set {0,1,2} under the function f. It is the set of all elements in the domain that map to the values 0, 1, or 2 in the codomain.

3. What is the range of the function f?

The range is the set of all values that the function f takes on. In this case, since the function maps from ℤ to ℤ, the range is also ℤ.

4. Can the function f be graphed?

Yes, the function f can be graphed using a coordinate plane. Since the domain and codomain are both sets of integers, the graph would consist of a series of discrete points on the plane.

5. How would you define this function using mathematical notation?

f: ℤ → ℤ, where f(n) = n mod 3 for all n ∈ ℤ. This means that the function takes any integer n and returns the remainder when divided by 3 as the output.