Deeper Understanding of pH Scale

• Thread starter Guillermo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph Scale
In summary, the pH scale is a logarithmic scale used to measure the acidity or basicity of a solution. It ranges from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral. pH is calculated using the hydrogen ion concentration and is used because the concentration of H3O+ for acids can vary greatly. It is similar to an odometer in a car, but not exactly the same as it is logarithmic rather than linear. The scale is helpful in determining the acidity or basicity of a solution, and most solutions fall within the range of 0 to 14. The pH scale is a commonly used concept in chemistry and is important in understanding acid-base reactions.
Guillermo
I am asked to prepare some information on ph scale. I know what pH is, I know how to calculate it in some cases, I know it is lower than 7 for acid and higher then 7 for base - is there anything more important?

G

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's really about all there is..

you may encounter PoH. Or have to calculate PH from PoH, or PoH from PH. I don't have a textbook in front of me, but PoH + Ph of a given solution equals 14 at STP, if I remember correctly.

The only other thing I could add at the time, is, why bother using a log of the concentration of H3O + to begin with? The answer is that the concentrations of H3O+ for acids can vary over a large scale. The log conversion compresses the scale, and gives a more "friendly" number to deal with.

Last edited:
Not much more to know - look at pH scale lecture - and google for pH scale, you will find more similar informations.

So pH scale is just like saying speed scale referring to the car velocity? El stupido.

G

There perhaps is a little more to it.

Perhaps one may refer to the Chembuddy sections

Strong acid/base
Weak acid/base
Polyprotic acid/base

But perhaps it is enough to demonstrate the usual range 0-14, 7 being neutral, with some examples. One could have negative pHs.

So, it's not really like an odometer in a car. The odometer is linear with the velocity, whereas pH is actually a logarithm.

Others have mentioned a logrithmic connection.
I remember the pH scale is based on the following relationship,
pH = - log [H+] <----- negation of log of hydrogen ion concentration

What I meant about speed was that once you know what speed is you don't refer to 'speed scale', you just say 'we are making 55 mph' and that's all. In the case of pH scale it seems that calling it pH scale is slightly overdoing things, as it is enough to say 'this solution has pH of 3.4', you don't have to refer to it as 'on the pH scale this solution has pH of 3.4'. Hope I am clear.

G

In a way you are right, however, pH values are (in most cases) restricted from both sides, thus it is convenient to refer to pH scale - almost every solution you will meet in real life will have pH between 0 and 14, thus pH scale starts at 0 and ends at 14. On the other hand for most practical purposes speed is restricted only on the lower end (you can't move slower then 0 mph), thus speed scale doesn't make sense - pr at least it will be not as usefull.

Related to Deeper Understanding of pH Scale

What is the pH scale?

The pH scale is a measure of the acidity or alkalinity of a solution. It ranges from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral. Solutions with a pH below 7 are considered acidic, while those with a pH above 7 are considered alkaline.

How is the pH scale measured?

The pH scale is measured using a pH meter or pH strips. The meter measures the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution, while the strips change color based on the pH level of the solution.

What is the significance of the pH scale?

The pH scale is important because it helps us understand the chemical properties of a solution. It can affect the behavior of substances, such as how they react with other substances or how they interact with living organisms.

What factors can affect the pH of a solution?

The pH of a solution can be affected by several factors, including the concentration of hydrogen ions, the presence of other ions or substances, temperature, and pressure.

Why is it important to maintain a proper pH balance in the body?

The body has a natural pH balance that is necessary for proper functioning. If the pH becomes too acidic or too alkaline, it can disrupt bodily functions and lead to health issues. Therefore, it is important to maintain a proper pH balance through a healthy diet and lifestyle.