Deep inelastic scattering and the Q^2 large limit

In summary, Bailin and Love argue that as ##Q^2 \rightarrow \infty##, we probe the product of the two electromagnetic currents appearing in the hadronic tensor for DIS on the lightcone. They show that the Bjorken limit corresponds to studying the light cone in coordinate space. This limit is the limit in which ##q_+ \rightarrow \infty## with ##q_-## fixed. Consequently, ##x = -q_-/m_N##.
CAF123
Gold Member
I am reading through Bailin and Love's argument (see P.151-152 of 'Introduction to Gauge Field Theory') that as ##Q^2 \rightarrow \infty##, we probe the product of the two electromagnetic currents appearing in the hadronic tensor for DIS on the lightcone. I will write out the argument here and point out my questions as I go along.

The Bjorken limit is defined as the limit in which ##Q^2 \rightarrow \infty, p \cdot q \rightarrow \infty## with Bjorken ##x## fixed. As we will now show, the Bjorken limit corresponds to studying the light cone in coordinate space. To see this, it is convenient to work in the frame in which ##p = (m_N, 0, 0, 0 )## and ##q = (q^0, 0, 0, q^0)## with the z axis chosen along the direction of momentum of the virtual photon. (1st question: This parametrisation of momenta does not allow for a virtual photon - ##q^2 = 0## no? Perhaps there is a typo in his parametrisation because then the rest of the argument has no foundation I think)

In lightcone variables, ##q^2 = q_+ q_-## and ##p \cdot q = (m_N/2)(q_+ + q_-)## and therefore $$x = \frac{-q_+ q_-}{m_N(q_+ + q_-)}$$The Bjorken limit is thus the limit ##q_+ \rightarrow \infty## with ##q_-## fixed (and negative). Consequently, ##x = -q_-/m_N##. (2nd question: why the Bjorken limit corresponds to ##q_+ \rightarrow \infty##? ##x## as written is symmetric in ##q_+ \leftrightarrow q_-## so singling out ##q_+## as the one that gets large seems incorrect, no?)

Expanding the exponential appearing in the hadronic tensor in terms of lightcone components: $$e^{i qx} = \exp \left(\frac{i}{2} (q_+ x_- + q_- x_+) \right)$$ The exponential oscillates rapidly as ##q^+ \rightarrow \infty## so that the only contribution to the integral comes from the region ##x_- = 0##. Then $$x^2 = x_+ x_- - \mathbf x^2 \leq 0 $$ The strict inequality can't hold because of causality therefore we must have ##x^2 = 0##, as required. (3rd question: ##x^2 < 0## would have implied that the currents were spacelike separated - why is this a bad thing? Is it because they would be in different regions of the lightcone diagram and hence never 'talk' to each other? )

Thanks!

What seems to be the problem? ##q^2 = q_0^2-q_0^2=0##, didn't you notice it?

MathematicalPhysicist said:
What seems to be the problem? ##q^2 = q_0^2-q_0^2=0##, didn't you notice it?
Yes, that is exactly the problem. The whole point is to have a hard scale ##q^2 \neq 0 \gg \Lambda_{\text{QCD}}## so that perturbative QCD can be applied to this process.I think his parametrisation is just a typo and I thought about 3) more so only 2) is the remaining question I have.

I am not expert in physics, but perhaps there's something mentioned in the 2-volume of Aitchinson's about this problem. (don't know, perhaps the same problem arises there as well).

Related to Deep inelastic scattering and the Q^2 large limit

1. What is deep inelastic scattering?

Deep inelastic scattering is a process in which a high-energy lepton (such as an electron) interacts with a hadron (such as a proton) and scatters off of its constituent particles. This process is used to probe the internal structure and composition of hadrons, providing information about the fundamental particles and forces that make up matter.

2. What is the Q^2 large limit in deep inelastic scattering?

The Q^2 large limit refers to the situation in deep inelastic scattering when the momentum transfer between the lepton and hadron is very large. In this limit, the scattering process can be described using the theory of Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD), which is the theory of the strong nuclear force.

3. How is the Q^2 large limit related to the internal structure of hadrons?

The Q^2 large limit is related to the internal structure of hadrons because at high momentum transfers, the constituent particles of the hadron are probed at a smaller distance scale. This allows for a more detailed understanding of the distribution of quarks and gluons within the hadron, providing insight into its internal structure.

4. What is the significance of Q^2 in deep inelastic scattering?

Q^2 is the momentum transfer between the lepton and hadron in deep inelastic scattering. It is a key parameter that determines the energy scale of the process and allows for the study of different regimes, such as the Q^2 large limit where QCD can be used. Q^2 also plays a crucial role in the interpretation of experimental data and theoretical calculations in deep inelastic scattering.

5. How is deep inelastic scattering used in particle physics research?

Deep inelastic scattering is a powerful tool in particle physics research as it allows for the study of the internal structure of hadrons and the fundamental particles and forces that make up matter. It has been used to discover and confirm the existence of quarks, measure their properties, and test the predictions of QCD. It continues to be an important technique in current research, providing insights into the structure of matter at the smallest distance scales.