Decrease the level of the battery for UPS syatem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with the gradual decrease of batteries in a UPS system. The speaker suggests that the issue could be caused by sulphation and recommends a special de-sulphating charge cycle. They also mention the possibility of a cracked plate, but rule it out as the decrease is gradual. The type of battery is confirmed to be lead-acid and the speaker suggests that the charging set point must be specific for gel cells. The speaker also asks for clarification on whether the battery is on float mode or boost mode. The conversation ends with the speaker bowing out as the battery setup is outside their experience.
eng_2009
Hi,

I faced problem with the decrease the level of the batteries for UPS system and from time to time i filled the batteries but still the level decrease after one week...

what is the problem and solution؟

best regards,

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you had to fill them that sounds like lead-acid flooded batteries. Is that correct?

Gradual decrease in that type of battery is usually caused by sulphation. The cure is a special de-sulphating charge cycle, also called equalizing charge cycle. Only some chargers have that feature.

Another possibility is a cracked plate, but that would happen suddenly, not gradually.

yes it is lead-acid

there is no cracked plate

If it is lead acid flooded, then my previous reply about equalization charge is your answer.If it is lead acid sealed gel cell, then it can be easily damaged by charging it to too high a voltage. The UPS charging set point must be specific for gel cells.

it is on the float mode not on boost mode

You can float a flooded battery at 14.2 volts, but float a gel cell to 13.8 volts max. Which is it?

i have 60 battery cells connected in series
each cell 2.2 vdc
total voltage 132 vdc

Whoa, that is outside my experience base. I'll bow out of this thread. Hopefully, someone else can help you.

Related to Decrease the level of the battery for UPS syatem

1. What is the purpose of decreasing the level of the battery for UPS system?

The purpose of decreasing the level of the battery for UPS system is to prevent overcharging and prolong the overall lifespan of the battery. Overcharging can lead to damage and decrease the efficiency of the battery, so it is important to maintain the appropriate level.

2. How do you decrease the level of the battery for UPS system?

To decrease the level of the battery for UPS system, you can adjust the charging settings on the UPS unit itself. This can usually be done through a control panel or software program. You can also physically disconnect the battery from the UPS unit to prevent charging.

3. What is the ideal level for the battery in a UPS system?

The ideal level for the battery in a UPS system is typically between 80-90% of its maximum capacity. This allows for some room for fluctuations and ensures that the battery is not overcharged.

4. How often should the level of the battery be decreased for UPS systems?

The frequency of decreasing the level of the battery for UPS systems depends on the specific usage and settings of the UPS unit. Generally, it is recommended to check and adjust the level every 6-12 months to maintain optimal performance.

5. What are the consequences of not decreasing the level of the battery for UPS systems?

If the level of the battery for UPS systems is not decreased, it can lead to overcharging and potentially cause damage to the battery. This can result in a shorter lifespan and decreased efficiency of the UPS unit. In extreme cases, it may even cause the battery to fail completely.