Decrease in viscosity upon rapid decelleration

In summary, there are various non-Newtonian fluids that exhibit different types of behavior in response to acceleration or shear rate. Examples include cornstarch and water, ketchup, and bentonite. The viscosity of a non-Newtonian fluid is determined by the second invariant of the rate of deformation tensor and can change in response to deformation. Some non-Newtonian fluids exhibit shear thinning or thickening, while others exhibit viscoelasticity. To learn more about non-Newtonian behavior, you can refer to Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot.
clanijos
I'm in search of a material that decreases in viscosity with acceleration. In this case, I really mean decelleration, but a change of velocity nonetheless. My questions:

1. Could such a material exist? Does Such a material exist? If so, what is it?
2. Would a material with said properties inside a container, subject to rapid deceleration, have more of a tendency to remain on its forward course than a solid body of equal mass in the same situation?
3. How can I mathematically describe the behavior of this material?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cornstarch

There are other non-Newtonian fluids but this is one which has the properties you ask.

Ketchup has the reverse property of becoming less viscous on (+ve) acceleration and is called thixotropic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've played with cornstarch and water before, is that not the opposite of what I'm looking for? Are there any other examples of thixotropic fluids? They seem like what I'm looking for.

Bentonite is thixotropic.

clanijos said:
2. Would a material with said properties inside a container, subject to rapid deceleration, have more of a tendency to remain on its forward course than a solid body of equal mass in the same situation?
F=m*a is the same independent of the material itself. I am not sure what exactly you mean with "tendency to remain on its forward course", but inertia is the same.Edit: This is a test of a bug.

Correct regarding the variation along those two axis. Also correct that there is no component in the ##\hat\phi# direction, but do you think the magnetic field varies as ##\phi## varies? or does it have ##\phi## (azimuthal) symmetry?

Last edited:
The viscosity of a non-Newtonian fluid is not related to its acceleration. It is determined by the second invariant of the rate of deformation tensor. Even in fluid flows for which there is no acceleration, such as simple shear, the viscosity is altered in response to the deformation. There are some non-Newtonian fluids that exhibit shear thinning, or thixotropy, in which the viscosity decreases with increases in the shear rate. There are other non-Newtonian fluids that exhibit shear thickening, or dilatancy, in which the viscosity increases with increases in shear rate. This is just a small subset of the types of non-Newtonian fluid behavior that is encountered in practice. Some polymer solutions and melts exhibit viscoelasticity, in which the shear stress relaxes with time after a sudden shear deformation is imposed. If you would like to learn more about the non-Newtonian behavior of fluids, see Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot.

Related to Decrease in viscosity upon rapid decelleration

1. What is viscosity?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It is a property of fluids that determines how easily they can flow or be deformed. In simpler terms, it is a measure of a fluid's thickness or "stickiness".

2. What causes a decrease in viscosity upon rapid deceleration?

A decrease in viscosity upon rapid deceleration is caused by the shearing forces that occur when the fluid is quickly decelerated. This causes the molecules in the fluid to align and flow more easily, resulting in a decrease in viscosity.

3. How does a decrease in viscosity affect the behavior of a fluid?

A decrease in viscosity typically results in a fluid becoming less thick and more runny. This can lead to an increased flow rate, reduced resistance to flow, and potentially changes in other properties such as surface tension.

4. Can a decrease in viscosity upon rapid deceleration be reversed?

Yes, a decrease in viscosity upon rapid deceleration can be reversed by allowing the fluid to rest and return to its original state. This can be achieved by reducing the shearing forces or by applying heat to the fluid to increase its temperature.

5. In what real-life situations is a decrease in viscosity upon rapid deceleration significant?

A decrease in viscosity upon rapid deceleration is significant in various industrial and scientific applications. For example, in the production of paints, coatings, and adhesives, a decrease in viscosity can improve the processing and application of these materials. In the field of medicine, understanding the decrease in viscosity of blood upon rapid deceleration is essential for diagnosing and treating conditions such as anemia and blood clotting disorders.