Decrease in pressure due to adiabatic expansion derivation?

In summary, the pressure decreases due to an adiabatic expansion, and γ is related to Cp and Cv. I tried to solve for γ but I got stuck. I'm assuming that P1=Po and T1=To are fixed, and P2=Po+dP, T2=To+dT, dT and dP very small. I then solved for R/Cv = \gamma -1 / \gamma.
monnapomona

Homework Statement

Show that [itex]\frac{dp}{p}[/itex] =[itex]\frac{\gamma}{\gamma-1}[/itex][itex]\frac{dT}{T}[/itex] if the decrease in pressure is due to an adiabatic expansion.

Homework Equations

Poisson equations:
Pv[itex]^{\gamma}[/itex]
Tv[itex]^{\gamma - 1}[/itex]

Ideal Gas Law:
Pv=R[itex]_{d}[/itex]T, where R[itex]_{d}[/itex] is the dry air gas constant.

Hydrostatic Equation:
[itex]\frac{dp}{dz}[/itex] = - ρg

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried making those two equations equal to each other since they are equivalent (i think) and differentiating on both sides but i ended up with [itex]\frac{\gamma - 1}{\gamma}[/itex] in the final result...

EDIT: I was looking up adiabatic atmosphere and found this. I'm wondering where the formula p[itex]^{\gamma - 1}[/itex]T[itex]^{\gamma}[/itex] = constant comes from...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
monnapomona said:

Homework Statement

Show that [itex]\frac{dp}{p}[/itex] =[itex]\frac{\gamma}{\gamma-1}[/itex][itex]\frac{dT}{T}[/itex] if the decrease in pressure is due to an adiabatic expansion.

Homework Equations

Poisson equations:
Pv[itex]^{\gamma}[/itex] =??
Tv[itex]^{\gamma - 1}[/itex]=??

Ideal Gas Law:
Pv=R[itex]_{d}[/itex]T, where R[itex]_{d}[/itex] is the dry air gas constant.

Hydrostatic Equation:
[itex]\frac{dp}{dz}[/itex] = - ρg

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried making those two equations equal to each other since they are equivalent (i think) and differentiating on both sides but i ended up with [itex]\frac{\gamma - 1}{\gamma}[/itex] in the final result...

EDIT: I was looking up adiabatic atmosphere and found this. I'm wondering where the formula p[itex]^{\gamma - 1}[/itex]T[itex]^{\gamma}[/itex] = constant comes from...

How is γ related to Cp and Cv?

You can consider air as ideal gas. Use the Ideal Gas Law to eliminate V. ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
How is γ related to Cp and Cv?

You can consider air as ideal gas. Use the Ideal Gas Law to eliminate V.

ehild

I think [itex]\gamma[/itex] = Cp/Cv and R = Cp - Cv.
I used an entropy equation and made it equal to 0:
0 = Cp*ln(T2/T1) - R*ln(p2/p1) and got (R/Cp)*ln(p2/p1) = ln(T2/T1). So I solved for R/Cv = [itex]\gamma[/itex] -1 / [itex]\gamma[/itex]... and the final result was
(P2/P1)^(([itex]\gamma[/itex] -1) / [itex]\gamma[/itex]) = T2/T1

Am I on the right track with this?

You are on the right track, but write the equation with the differentials.

ehild

ehild said:
You are on the right track, but write the equation with the differentials.

ehild

This is where I'm stuck... could i say P2/P1 = P and T2/T1 = T, then take the ln of the equation to bring the exponent down?

Last edited:
Assume that P1=Po and T1=To are fixed, and P2=Po+dP, T2=To+dT, dT and dP very small. How are dP and dT related? Have you studied differentials? ehild

ehild said:
Assume that P1=Po and T1=To are fixed, and P2=Po+dP, T2=To+dT, dT and dP very small. How are dP and dT related? Have you studied differentials?

ehild

Is dt and dp directly proportional?

And I have calculus background from a few years ago so I'm a bit rusty on some concepts... like differentials.

Try to refresh your Calculus knowledge.

You have the equation (P2/P1)^((γ -1) / γ) = T2/T1.

Write P2/P1=(Po+dP)/Po=1+dP/Po and T2/T1=1+dT/To. dP/Po << and dT/To <<1. The original equation becomes
(1+dP/Po)(γ-1)/γ=1+dT/To.
Use the approximation (1+δ)n ≈1+nδ,valid for δ<<1.
You can check it, what is (1+0.001)3, for example?

What do you get?

ehild

ehild said:
Try to refresh your Calculus knowledge.

You have the equation (P2/P1)^((γ -1) / γ) = T2/T1.

Write P2/P1=(Po+dP)/Po=1+dP/Po and T2/T1=1+dT/To. dP/Po << and dT/To <<1. The original equation becomes
(1+dP/Po)(γ-1)/γ=1+dT/To.
Use the approximation (1+δ)n ≈1+nδ,valid for δ<<1.
You can check it, what is (1+0.001)3, for example?

What do you get?

ehild

You would get 1.003003 so its approximately 1. Curious question, why does this approximation matter to the proof or derivation of the original question?

monnapomona said:
1. Curious question, why does this approximation matter to the proof or derivation of the original question?

You get the desired formula with that approximation.

ehild

Likes 1 person

Related to Decrease in pressure due to adiabatic expansion derivation?

1. What is adiabatic expansion?

Adiabatic expansion is a process in which the volume of a gas increases without any heat entering or leaving the system. This means that the change in temperature of the gas is solely due to the work done on it, and not from any external heat source.

2. What causes the decrease in pressure during adiabatic expansion?

The decrease in pressure during adiabatic expansion is caused by the increase in volume of the gas. As the gas expands, it pushes against the walls of its container, resulting in a decrease in pressure. This is due to the conservation of energy, where the work done by the gas in expanding is equal to the decrease in its internal energy, resulting in a decrease in pressure.

3. What is the formula for calculating the decrease in pressure due to adiabatic expansion?

The formula for calculating the decrease in pressure during adiabatic expansion is known as the adiabatic expansion formula, which is given by P2/P1 = (V1/V2)^γ, where P1 and V1 are the initial pressure and volume, P2 and V2 are the final pressure and volume, and γ is the adiabatic constant for the gas.

4. How is the adiabatic constant (γ) determined for a gas?

The adiabatic constant (γ) is determined by the type of gas and its degrees of freedom, which represent the number of ways the molecules can store energy. For an ideal monatomic gas, γ is equal to 5/3, while for an ideal diatomic gas, γ is equal to 7/5. For real gases, γ can vary depending on temperature and pressure.

5. What are the applications of adiabatic expansion in real life?

Adiabatic expansion has various applications in real life, including in the operation of car engines, refrigerators, and air compressors. It is also used in weather forecasting to predict changes in air pressure and temperature, as well as in the production of sound and musical instruments.