Decompose Even & Odd parts of a function?

In summary, to decompose a given function f(x) to its even and odd parts, you first need to find the even and odd parts of f(x). Then, you need to find the sum of the two functions f(x) and f(x+-x).
radiator
How would you decompose a given function to its even and odd parts? let's say you have f(x)=e^ix, and would like to know the even and odd parts of it? how do you proceed?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not particularly meaningful to decompose complex-valued functions as "even" or "odd".

however, any function f(x), can be written as the sum of two functions:
f(x)=(f(x)+f(-x))/2+(f(x)-f(-x))/2

Thanks arildno,
I suppose if I have a step function, the even part will be equal to odd part?
i.e. f(x) = (H(x) + 0)/2 + (H(x) - 0 )/2
since H(x) = 0 for x<0

Not really.

For positive x, H_even(x)=1/2, and of course, for negative x, we have H_even(x)=1/2

The odd part of the Heavyside function is, for x>0, H_odd(x)=1/2, whereas for x<0, H_odd(x)=-1/2.

I get it, but just to further understand more

suppose again I have f(x) = x^2 , which means the f_e(x) = x^2 and f_o(x) = 0, similarly f(x) = x^3 gives f_e(x) = 0 and f_o(x) = x^3 which is graphically a reflection around the y-axis and the origin, respectively.

but for absolute x it would be f_e(x) = (x+x)/2 = x for x>0 and f_e(x) = (x+(-(-x)))/2 = x
f_o = (x-x)/2 = 0 for x>0 and f_o(x) = (x-(-(-x)))/2 = 0 for x<0 , is this right ?

btw I though latex works here but I can't find the correct code, test: <latex> $\beta$ <\latex>

Now, for x>0, we have:

|x|=(|x|+|-x|)/2+(|x|-|-x|)/2, that is =(x+-(-x))/2+(x--(-x))/2=x+0, as it ought to be

For x<0, we have:
|x|=(|x|+|-x|)/2+(|x|-|-x|)/2=(-x+-x)/2+(-x--x)/2=-x+0, as it ought to be.

Thus, f_(e)(x) equals the absolute value function itself. Also as it ought to be, I may add.

Thanks very much arildno :)

Related to Decompose Even & Odd parts of a function?

What is the purpose of decomposing even and odd parts of a function?

The purpose of decomposing even and odd parts of a function is to separate the function into two distinct parts, one that is even and one that is odd. This allows for easier analysis and understanding of the function as a whole.

How do you determine if a function is even or odd?

A function is even if it satisfies the condition f(-x) = f(x) for all values of x. This means that the function remains unchanged when the input is replaced with its negative. On the other hand, a function is odd if it satisfies the condition f(-x) = -f(x) for all values of x. This means that the function changes sign when the input is replaced with its negative.

What is the significance of the even part of a function?

The even part of a function represents the symmetric part of the function, meaning that it is symmetrical about the y-axis. This part of the function is important because it can help determine the behavior of the function at certain points and also helps in graphing the function accurately.

How can decomposing even and odd parts of a function help in integration?

Decomposing even and odd parts of a function can help in integration by simplifying the integration process. For even functions, the integral from -a to a can be replaced with 2 times the integral from 0 to a, which saves time and effort. Similarly, for odd functions, the integral from -a to a is equal to 0, making it easier to solve.

Can functions have both even and odd parts?

Yes, functions can have both even and odd parts. This means that the function can be decomposed into an even part and an odd part, both of which contribute to the overall behavior of the function. In this case, the function is neither fully even nor fully odd.