Decoherence Time Scale for Different Qubit Realizations

In summary, the times of decoherence for different physical realizations of a qubit can range from 1 fs to 1 s. However, the specific time depends on the system used and how it is implemented and probed. It is difficult to give generic answers, but relevant papers can provide more accurate estimates. For example, superconducting qubits have seen a significant improvement in coherence time in just over ten years. For more information, further research can be done on optical quantum computation and ion traps.
gioialorusso
Hi everybody,
I've searched all the internet but I can't find the answer to my question. Which are times of decoherence for different physical realization of a qubit? Like, if I use photons, or spin electron, or nuclei, or ion trap, to encode a qubit, which are times of decoherence for each?
Thank you for now,
Gioia

Physics news on Phys.org
It can be everything from the order of 1 fs to 1 s.
The time does not only depend on the system used, but also how it is implemented and probed so it is difficult to give any generic answers.

yeah, i know it, but i have really to give some numbers for each particle, and I don't know where to find them... Hope someone has some estimation about the question. thanks for now.

You just have to look up the relevant papers. Things move fast in this field, so what was "state of the art" a few years ago is already dated (i.e. don't bother looking in books).

Just to give you an example: superconducting qubits (which is what I am most familiar with) have gone from having a coherence time of about 10 ns to at least 10 us in just over ten years, and there has been almost one order of magnitude improvement just in the past few years due to improved sample design.

Last edited:
I'll try to search better about optical quantum computation and ion traps. :)

Related to Decoherence Time Scale for Different Qubit Realizations

1. What is the Decoherence Time Scale for Different Qubit Realizations?

The decoherence time scale for different qubit realizations refers to the amount of time it takes for a quantum system to lose its coherence and become entangled with its surroundings. This can vary depending on the specific type of qubit being used.

2. Why is the Decoherence Time Scale important in quantum computing?

The decoherence time scale is important in quantum computing because it determines how long a quantum system can maintain its coherence and perform accurate computations. If the decoherence time scale is too short, it can lead to errors and loss of information in the quantum system.

3. What factors can affect the Decoherence Time Scale for Different Qubit Realizations?

There are several factors that can affect the decoherence time scale for different qubit realizations, including external noise and disturbances, imperfections in the qubit design, and the presence of other qubits in the system.

4. How can researchers improve the Decoherence Time Scale for Different Qubit Realizations?

Researchers are constantly working to improve the decoherence time scale for different qubit realizations through various techniques such as error correction codes, quantum error correction, and quantum control methods. Additionally, advancements in materials and fabrication techniques can also contribute to improving the decoherence time scale.

5. Is there a universal Decoherence Time Scale for all qubit realizations?

No, there is no universal decoherence time scale for all qubit realizations. Each type of qubit has its own unique properties and characteristics that can affect its decoherence time scale. Additionally, the decoherence time scale can also vary depending on the environment and conditions in which the qubit is operating.