Deciding on a bachelors degree

In summary, the individual is interested in pursuing a degree in physics after taking courses in math and physics through their job. Due to their work schedule, they are considering distance learning options and are unsure which degree would be best for a post-graduate degree in physics. The options they are considering are a BS in Interdisciplinary Studies with a focus on math and physics from Ellis College, a BS in Computer Science, or a BS in Software Engineering. They are seeking advice on which degree would be most beneficial, depending on whether they are looking to study for leisure or to use it in their job.
kjmad13hatter
After taking some courses in math and physics through my work I have become very interested in getting a degree in physics. Problem is I can’t commit to traditional classes at a university because of my work schedule. I am looking at distance learning as a possibility and need to know which one would be best (if any) for continuing on for a post grad degree in physics. These are the degrees I am considering

A BS of Interdisciplinary Studies, concentration on math/physics from Ellis College N.Y
A BS Computer science
Or BS Software engineering

Any help or advice would be great thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
depends on if your looking to study for leisure or to use it in your job?
If your looking at dist learning over a couple of years...maybe look into
phys/math and compsci.

I understand the importance of obtaining a degree in a field that you are passionate about. It is great to hear that you have developed a strong interest in physics through your work experience. However, I also understand the challenge of balancing work and education.

In terms of the degrees you are considering, it is important to note that a Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies with a concentration in math and physics from Ellis College in New York may not be the most suitable option for pursuing a postgraduate degree in physics. This is because interdisciplinary studies typically offer a broad range of courses and may not provide the in-depth knowledge and skills needed for a specialized field like physics.

On the other hand, a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or Software Engineering may provide a stronger foundation for pursuing a postgraduate degree in physics. These degrees often involve coursework in mathematics, computer programming, and problem-solving, which are essential skills for a career in physics. Additionally, these fields have a strong overlap with physics and can provide valuable skills and knowledge for a future career in the field.

In terms of distance learning, it is important to research and carefully consider the reputation and accreditation of the institution offering the program. This will ensure that you receive a quality education and that your degree will be recognized by potential employers or graduate schools.

Overall, my advice would be to carefully consider your long-term career goals and the specific requirements for a postgraduate degree in physics, and then choose a degree that aligns with those goals and provides a strong foundation in the field. Best of luck in your educational journey!

Related to Deciding on a bachelors degree

What factors should I consider when deciding on a bachelors degree?

There are several factors to consider when deciding on a bachelors degree, including your interests, career goals, job market demand, salary potential, and program requirements.

How do I choose between a specialized or general bachelors degree?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and personal preferences. A specialized degree may provide more in-depth knowledge and skills in a specific field, while a general degree may provide a broader range of knowledge and skills that can be applied to various industries.

What should I do if I am unsure about my career goals?

If you are unsure about your career goals, you may want to consider a degree program that offers a wide range of courses and allows you to explore different interests. You can also speak with a career counselor or take career assessments to gain more clarity.

How important is the reputation of the college or university?

The reputation of the college or university can play a role in your job search and career advancement opportunities. However, it is not the only factor to consider. It is important to also evaluate the program curriculum, faculty, and resources available to ensure they align with your academic and career goals.

Is it better to pursue a degree in a field with high job demand or high salary potential?

Again, it depends on your personal preferences and career goals. It is important to choose a field that you are passionate about and enjoy, as job satisfaction is also an important factor. You can also consider dual degrees or minor programs to broaden your knowledge and skills in both high demand and high paying fields.