Deciding Between Discrete Math & CS2 for College Student

• Thread starter ThereIam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Discrete
In summary, if you have to choose between CS2 and Discrete Mathematics, I would suggest taking the latter.
ThereIam
Okay, so I'm a college student approaching my (second) senior year and I have the option of either taking CS2 or discrete mathematics. My schedule is completely full. CS2 is

"Data structures and algorithmic techniques that
are fundamental in programming solutions to
complex problems. Abstract data types, lists,
stacks, queues, trees, graphs. Array-based and
linked structures. Use and simple analysis of
iterative and recursive algorithms. Introduction
to object-oriented programming."

I am strongly considering graduate school. I feel that my mathematics could be stronger (I've only completed Calc III, Linear Algebra, and Differential Equations). I am taking CS 1 right now and learning Java, and I'm half way through the course and feel as though at the end of it I'll know how to program but not be very good at it. I am also weakly considering engineering. My personal preference would be to take both... I really want to take both, and just can't, which is why I'm taking my future into account.

Advice as to which course I ought to take?

Physics news on Phys.org
Given your goals, I would recommend taking the Discrete Mathematics course. It will provide you with a strong foundation in mathematical principles which will be beneficial for both engineering and graduate school. CS2 will give you the programming skills you need, but it is likely that you will be able to learn the same concepts through self-study or extra classes. On the other hand, taking Discrete Mathematics will give you an advantage in terms of mathematics and could help you stand out from other applicants when applying for either engineering or graduate school.

Related to Deciding Between Discrete Math & CS2 for College Student

1. What is the difference between discrete math and CS2?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete structures, such as integers and graphs, while CS2 (Computer Science 2) is a course that builds on the foundational concepts of computer science, such as algorithms and data structures.

2. Which course is more suitable for a college student?

This depends on the student's interests and career goals. Discrete math may be more suitable for students interested in pursuing a career in mathematics or theoretical computer science, while CS2 may be more beneficial for those interested in software development or computer engineering.

3. Do I need to have prior knowledge in math or computer science to take these courses?

It would be helpful to have some basic knowledge in both math and computer science, but it is not always required. Discrete math may require a stronger background in math, while CS2 may require some prior knowledge in computer programming.

4. Will these courses be challenging?

Both discrete math and CS2 can be challenging courses, as they require critical thinking and problem-solving skills. However, with dedication and proper study habits, they can be manageable and rewarding.

5. How can I decide which course to take?

You should consider your interests, career goals, and academic strengths when deciding between discrete math and CS2. It may also be helpful to speak with your academic advisor or professors for guidance and to research the course syllabi to get a better understanding of the course content.