What's the Trick Behind This Chocolate Brain Teaser?

• Thread starter amathea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the conversation discusses a number trick found in a magazine that involves picking a number of times to eat chocolate, multiplying it, adding numbers, and subtracting one's birth year to reveal their age. The conversation also suggests using algebra to understand how the trick works.
amathea
Found it in a magazine...and as much as I've tried - I cannot solve it. CAn you?

1.First of all, pick the number of times a week that you would like to eat chocolate (try for more than once but less than 10).

2. Multiply this number by 2 (just to be bold).

3. Add 5 (for Sunday).

4. Multiply it by 50 (I'll wait while you get the calculator).

5. If you have already had your birthday this year add 1753, if not, add 1752.

6. Now subtract the four digit year that you were born.

You should have a three digit number. The first digit of this was your original number (how many times you want to eat chocolate each week). The next two numbers are.. YOUR AGE!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums amathea. :smile:
I've posed an explanation here

Originally posted by amathea
Found it in a magazine...and as much as I've tried - I cannot solve it. CAn you?
Use algebra to see how these number tricks work. If you do steps 1-5, you'll get (using X as your original number):

100X + 2003 (if you had your birthday already)

You should be able to see how the trick works now.:smile:

1. What is the "Chocolate Brain Teaser"?

The "Chocolate Brain Teaser" is a popular puzzle that involves manipulating a 3x3 grid of chocolate squares to create a specific pattern or image.

2. How do you solve the "Chocolate Brain Teaser"?

To solve the "Chocolate Brain Teaser", you must move the chocolate squares around the grid according to specific rules to create the desired pattern. These rules vary depending on the specific puzzle, but typically involve rotating or flipping the grid and moving certain squares to specific positions.

3. Are there different levels of difficulty for the "Chocolate Brain Teaser"?

Yes, there are different levels of difficulty for the "Chocolate Brain Teaser". Some puzzles may have simpler rules and fewer moves required to solve, while others may be more complex and require more moves to complete.

4. Can the "Chocolate Brain Teaser" be solved by trial and error?

While it is possible to solve some versions of the "Chocolate Brain Teaser" through trial and error, it is not the most efficient method. It is important to carefully analyze the rules and patterns in order to find the most efficient solution.

5. Is the "Chocolate Brain Teaser" only meant for entertainment purposes?

While the "Chocolate Brain Teaser" can certainly be an enjoyable puzzle to solve, it also exercises critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It is a great mental exercise for all ages and can improve cognitive abilities.