Decending Lunar lander velocity

In summary, in this conversation the topic of discussion is the velocity of a lunar lander descending towards the moon after using its engine to break. One person suggests using the formula v_{final} = v_{initial} - g_{moon}\cdot t, while another points out that thrusting from the engine must also be taken into account. The conversation then shifts to discussing different formulas and how they can be used to calculate the acceleration and resulting speeds.
Susanne217

Homework Statement

Lets imagine we are back in 1969 and the Apollo Lunarlander is on approach to the moon. It has a mass of 200 kg and initial velocity of v1 = 6 m/s. The Astrofolks push the big red button in the cabin and engine burst of energy to break the spacecraft where time = 2 sec the resulting Force of the engine is 800 Newton and time = 4 sec the Force produced of the engine is 800 Newton. Whats the velocity of the decending lunar lander at t = 5 sec?

My professor did a fancy calculation where he included the mass of spacecraft and the resulting force of the engine bursts. But I tried something else :)

Lets imagine that after the they used the engine to break the spacecraft that its free-falling towards to the moon then.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]v_{final} = v_{initial} - g_{moon}\cdot t[/tex] where t = 5 sec and [tex]g_{moon} = 1.62 m/s^2[/tex]

Then I plug this into the formula I get:

[tex]v_{final} = 6 m/s - 1.62 \cdot 5 = - 2.1 m/s[/tex]

Since the engine isn't given bursts at t = 5 then can't the LL be see as free falling and we can disregard its mass? And since the LL is decending the the final velocity is negativ?

Sincerely
Susanne

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculation would be correct, if the speed in question is the vertical speed, with positive up, and if there were no thrusting taking place between t = 0 and t = 5.

But, even though I have trouble understand the exact details in the problem text as you have quoted it, it do read like there is thrusting taking place and this will make the resulting speed come out different. No matter what method you use it must include the effect of the specified thrusting somehow.

filiplarsen said:
Your calculation would be correct, if the speed in question is the vertical speed, with positive up, and if there were no thrusting taking place between t = 0 and t = 5.

But, even though I have trouble understand the exact details in the problem text as you have quoted it, it do read like there is thrusting taking place and this will make the resulting speed come out different. No matter what method you use it must include the effect of the specified thrusting somehow.

The only equation I can come up with

[tex]W_1 + W_2 - m\cdot g = 1/2 \cdot m \cdot v^2[/tex]

where W_1 and W_2 is the thrusting of the engine at t = 2 and t = 4 in KWh.

But if I plug this into this formula I don't get the right result

which is v = 2,1 m/s

What am I doing wrong?

Sincerely
Susanne

You cannot add a work and a force, they are of different units.
You have an initial speed.
You have two forces acting on the spaceship: gravity and engine thrust.
So what is the acceleration?

magwas said:
You cannot add a work and a force, they are of different units.
You have an initial speed.
You have two forces acting on the spaceship: gravity and engine thrust.
So what is the acceleration?

I found another interesting formula

Which states that if object of mass m is effected by a Net Force T then if the object moves vertically

then

[tex]\sum F_y = T = m \cdot a_y [/tex] which is implies [tex]a_y = T/ m [/tex]

Why is that these physics problems aren't formulated so one can use the off the shelf formulas in the book :(

Last edited:
Susanne217 said:
I found another interesting formula

Which states that if object of mass m is effected by a Net Force T then if the object moves vertically

then

[tex]\sum F_y = T = m \cdot a_y [/tex] which is implies [tex]a_y = T/ m [/tex]

Why is that these physics problems aren't formulated so one can use the off the shelf formulas in the book :(

Okay. You have the acceleration. Now you can come up with the speeds in different points of time.
You can use off the self formulas in the book, just have to know which ones and in what order:)

Related to Decending Lunar lander velocity

1. What is a descending lunar lander velocity?

A descending lunar lander velocity refers to the speed at which a spacecraft or object is descending towards the surface of the moon. It is typically measured in meters per second and is a crucial factor in the success of a lunar landing.

2. How is the descending lunar lander velocity calculated?

The descending lunar lander velocity is calculated by taking into account the gravitational pull of the moon, the thrust of the lander's engines, and any other external factors such as atmospheric conditions. It is a complex calculation that involves multiple variables and requires precise measurements and calculations.

3. Why is the descending lunar lander velocity important?

The descending lunar lander velocity is important because it determines the success or failure of a lunar landing. If the velocity is too high, the lander may crash into the surface of the moon, causing damage or even complete failure of the mission. If the velocity is too low, the lander may not be able to safely land on the moon's surface.

4. How do scientists ensure a safe descending lunar lander velocity?

Scientists use various methods to ensure a safe descending lunar lander velocity. This includes extensive testing and simulations, precise calculations, and the use of thrusters and guidance systems to control the velocity during descent. They also take into account the terrain and surface conditions of the landing site to make necessary adjustments.

5. What are the challenges of controlling the descending lunar lander velocity?

Controlling the descending lunar lander velocity is a complex and challenging task. It requires precise calculations and adjustments in real-time, as well as the use of advanced technology and systems. Factors such as gravitational pull, atmospheric conditions, and terrain can also make it difficult to control the velocity, making it a crucial aspect of a successful lunar landing mission.