Deceleration without knowing the time

In summary, the net force needed to stop a car of 1000kg traveling at 15m/s in a distance of 1.8cm is determined by the relationship between initial velocity, acceleration, and distance traveled during the stopping process. Alternatively, the energy of the car can also be used to solve the problem.
BOAS

Homework Statement

What net force would be necessary to stop an automobile of mass 1000kg traveling initially at a speed of 15m/s in a distance equal to the diameter of a dime, which is 1.8cm ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The force required to stop the car is given by F = dp/dt.

Change in momentum = mv - mv0

As far as I can see, it's not possible for me to determine a time in which this change in momentum takes place. I have been staring at it for ages and not making any head way.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to introduce distance. What is the relationship between acceleration and distance travelled?

Acceleration is the second derivative of displacement with respect to time.

BOAS said:
Acceleration is the second derivative of displacement with respect to time.
That is correct, but not the important point.

There are two approaches:
(a) assuming constant deceleration, what is the relationship between initial velocity, acceleration and distance traveled in the stopping process?
(b) Work with the energy of the car.

I was overcomplicating this... a = (v^2 - u^2)/2s

I have solved the problem.

mfb said:
That is correct, but not the important point.

There are two approaches:
(a) assuming constant deceleration, what is the relationship between initial velocity, acceleration and distance traveled in the stopping process?
(b) Work with the energy of the car.

I just realized my mistake before reading your post. I moved on to the next problem and the answer to this one was staring me in the face.

Related to Deceleration without knowing the time

1. What is deceleration?

Deceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity decreases. It is the opposite of acceleration, which is the rate at which an object's velocity increases.

2. How is deceleration measured?

Deceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) in the metric system or feet per second squared (ft/s²) in the imperial system.

3. Can deceleration occur without knowing the time?

Yes, deceleration can be calculated without knowing the time. This is done by using other variables such as initial and final velocities, displacement, and acceleration.

4. What causes deceleration?

Deceleration can be caused by various factors such as friction, air resistance, or an opposing force acting on an object's motion.

5. How is deceleration represented graphically?

Deceleration is represented by a negative slope on a velocity-time graph. This indicates that the velocity is decreasing over time.