Deceleration of a mass down hill

In summary, you are driving a truck down a slope that is 8.5 degrees. The power to the gearbox is removed and you use the gearbox to brake the truck to a halt in 0.5m.
Big G
Hi all,

Embarassed to ask as seems simple, i have done the maths but answer seems too low! - have looked all over for worked example to follow but no luck :(

I have a free rolling mass of 2200kg that is being driven down a slope at 0.204m/s.
This mass must be braked to a stop in 0.5m i need to calculate the brake force required to do this.

I have calculated mg sin8.5° = 3190N

v2=u2+2as => 0 = 0.041616 + 2a x 0.5m

a = 2 x -0.041616 /0.5 => cancels out to give 0.041616m/s/s

F=ma so 2200 x 0.041616 = 91.55N

Add together gives 3281.555N

Reason I'm scared is that the force to decelerate (91.55N) seems so small but reletive to the speed 0.5m is quite a long distance i suppose!

Can anyone confirm my reasoning please!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one able to confirm or condem my working?

Big G said:
No one able to confirm or condem my working?
It's not clear what the problem is that you are trying to solve.

Can you state the problem completely. (Is something rolling down a hill? What's the angle of the hill? What forces act on the object?)

Hi,

Sorry, it is a free rolling 'truck' but is being driven at a speed of 0.204m/s - it is driven directly on the tyres and due to the gearbox driving the tyre being 'self sustaining' the truck will not speed up down the hill, only continue at 0.204m/s.

The angle of the slope is 8.5°.

Only forces acting are to be assumed as gravity and the driving force.

At the point in question the power is removed from the gearbox and a short placed across the electric motor therefore using the gearbox to brake the truck to a halt in 0.5m

Hope that clarifys a bit...

Thanks!

OK, I think I understand what you're doing now. Your work looks correct.

Thank you very much for your help,

I think i can trust someone with that many posts to their name! :)

Related to Deceleration of a mass down hill

1. What is the deceleration of a mass down hill?

The deceleration of a mass down hill refers to the rate at which the speed of a moving object decreases as it moves downhill due to the force of gravity.

2. How is the deceleration of a mass down hill calculated?

The deceleration of a mass down hill can be calculated using the equation a = g * sin(θ), where a is the deceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of the slope.

3. Does the mass of the object affect its deceleration down hill?

Yes, the mass of the object does affect its deceleration down hill. A heavier object will experience a greater force of gravity and therefore a higher deceleration compared to a lighter object.

4. What other factors can affect the deceleration of a mass down hill?

Other factors that can affect the deceleration of a mass down hill include the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface it is moving on, as well as any external forces acting on the object such as air resistance.

5. Can the deceleration of a mass down hill ever be greater than the acceleration due to gravity?

No, the deceleration of a mass down hill can never be greater than the acceleration due to gravity. This is because the force of gravity is always acting in the same direction and therefore will always contribute to the deceleration of the object.