Decaying current power calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the power loss over a 0.3 second period with a resistance of 0.0015 ohms and a current function of e-15.24t-e-39984.75t where t is time. The person initially suggests summing the current over the period and using it in the power formula, but realizes this would give the charge and not the power. Instead, they suggest finding the energy loss by integrating the instantaneous power expression, p(t) = (i(t))^2R, from 0 to 0.3 seconds. This would result in the unit of joules, as desired.
Mzzed
I would like to find the power loss over 0.3 seconds due to a resistance of 0.0015 ohms with a current following the function:

I = e-15.24t-e-39984.75t where t is time.

I would have imagined summing all the current over that 0.3 second period via integration would then allow me to find the power lost in that 0.3 second time period using this sum in place of the current (I) in the usual power formula P=I2R. my problem is I think the integral of current is charge? and then the working I have just shown wouldn't make sense I don't think?

Any help would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You're right that ∫ I dt would give you the charge and RQ2 does not give power, but that is not what you want to do.
You don't want to find charge, so don't integrate current.
You said you want to find "power loss", but the power loss over that period would vary during the period, just as the current does, so all you could get would be power as a function of time. What you actually mean is, you want to find energy loss over that time period.
Then it is straightforward. Energy is the integral of power. Make your expression for the instantaneous power and integrate that.
p(t)= ( i(t))2 R so E = R ∫ ( i(t) )2 dt
and dimensionally this works out fine, ∫ amp2 dt = amp coulomb , multiply by R volts/amp and get volt coulomb or joule for eg.

Likes Mzzed
Ah that makes sense, thankyou! So with the integration, do I integrate from 0 to 0.3 or would I just integrate and then sub in 0.3 for t?

Just integral from 0 to 0.3

Likes Mzzed

Related to Decaying current power calculation

1. What is decaying current power calculation?

Decaying current power calculation is a method used to determine the power dissipated in an electrical circuit that is experiencing a decaying current, where the current decreases over time.

2. How is decaying current power calculated?

Decaying current power is calculated by multiplying the square of the current at a specific time by the resistance of the circuit.

3. What is the significance of decaying current power calculation?

Decaying current power calculation is important in understanding the behavior of electrical circuits and determining the power dissipation in them. It is often used in the design and analysis of electronic circuits.

4. What are some applications of decaying current power calculation?

Decaying current power calculation is commonly used in electronic devices such as power supplies, battery charging and discharging circuits, and inductors. It is also useful in understanding the behavior of electrical systems in general.

5. How does decaying current power calculation differ from steady-state power calculation?

Decaying current power calculation takes into account the changing current over time, while steady-state power calculation assumes a constant current. This makes decaying current power calculation more accurate in real-life applications where the current is not always constant.