Debroglie wavelength of a baseball

In summary, this is wrong because the baseball would not be seen through the double slit because it would be too fast.
michael879
ok can someone please explain to me why this is wrong? debroglie of a baseball weighing 1kg is h/(1kg * v). You through this at a double slit at 10^-34 m/s which makes the wavelength equal to 6.63 meters. for a double slit its d*sin(theta) = m * (wavelength) so you get theta = sin^-1(6.63/d). If the distance between the slits is 12 meters, you get a theta of 33.5 degrees for the first maxima. After sending a lot of baseballs through there should be a very noticeable diffraction pattern right? I know this would take 3 * 10 ^26 years to get one baseball through, but it could be done with something smaller than a baseball that's still visible.. and anyway, it can't be true that there would be a diffraction pattern from this. I mean, baseballs being shot at two slit that's are 12 meters apart? theyre going to hit the part in between them right?

Physics news on Phys.org
michael879 said:
ok can someone please explain to me why this is wrong? debroglie of a baseball weighing 1kg is h/(1kg * v). You through this at a double slit at 10^-34 m/s which makes the wavelength equal to 6.63 meters. for a double slit its d*sin(theta) = m * (wavelength) so you get theta = sin^-1(6.63/d). If the distance between the slits is 12 meters, you get a theta of 33.5 degrees for the first maxima. After sending a lot of baseballs through there should be a very noticeable diffraction pattern right? I know this would take 3 * 10 ^26 years to get one baseball through, but it could be done with something smaller than a baseball that's still visible.. and anyway, it can't be true that there would be a diffraction pattern from this. I mean, baseballs being shot at two slit that's are 12 meters apart? theyre going to hit the part in between them right?

What's the uncertainty in position when you know that the baseball is moving at 10^(-34)m ?

you don't know exactly how fast it is moving. In fact, the uncertainty of the speed is higher than the position since u can see the thing.

Related to Debroglie wavelength of a baseball

What is the Debroglie wavelength of a baseball?

The Debroglie wavelength of a baseball is the wavelength associated with the motion of a baseball due to its mass and velocity. It is calculated using the formula: λ = h/mv, where h is the Planck's constant, m is the mass of the baseball, and v is its velocity.

How is the Debroglie wavelength of a baseball different from its physical size?

The Debroglie wavelength of a baseball is a quantum phenomenon and is significantly smaller than the physical size of a baseball. While the physical size of a baseball is measured in meters, its Debroglie wavelength is measured in nanometers (10^-9 meters).

What is the significance of the Debroglie wavelength of a baseball?

The Debroglie wavelength of a baseball is significant because it demonstrates the wave-particle duality of matter. It shows that all objects, no matter how large, have both particle-like and wave-like properties.

Can the Debroglie wavelength of a baseball be measured experimentally?

Yes, the Debroglie wavelength of a baseball can be measured experimentally using specialized equipment such as a diffraction grating or an electron microscope. However, due to the small size of the wavelength, precise measurements are challenging to obtain.

How does the velocity of a baseball affect its Debroglie wavelength?

According to the Debroglie wavelength formula, the velocity of a baseball is directly proportional to its Debroglie wavelength. This means that as the velocity of the baseball increases, its Debroglie wavelength also increases. Therefore, a faster-moving baseball will have a longer Debroglie wavelength compared to a slower-moving one.