Deblurring Images: Can Blur be Reversed?

• Thread starter martix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Images
In summary, blur is a process that alters the image by reducing the clarity of certain areas. It can be done by altering the values of certain mathematical parameters, but because of the way the transformation works, it is often difficult to undo the change.
martix
Everyone always says that there is nothing that can ever remove blur from images.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but here's some thoughts:
Blur is a distinct mathematical transformation involving however many parameters. Which would mean that no information is lost in the image(except where the blur sends it out of the bounds of the image - i.e. on the edges).
Which means that given the knowledge of the applied algorithm and its input parameters, one should be able to reverse that transformation and restore (most of) the image back to its original state.
Now, normally you don't have that information, but there aren't that many popular blur algorithms that you wouldn't be able to make a fair guess as to which one and how it was used.

So why are there no programs out there that do that? Or if there are, could someone point me to them?

Computer science news on Phys.org
martix said:
Everyone always says that there is nothing that can ever remove blur from images.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but here's some thoughts:
Blur is a distinct mathematical transformation involving however many parameters. Which would mean that no information is lost in the image(except where the blur sends it out of the bounds of the image - i.e. on the edges).
Yes, information is lost. One pixel can only represent one thing. Say pixel n has a value of 128,128,128, and it is a blur of the two pixels on either side of it. Were the two pixels 0,0,0 and 255,255,255? Or were they 255,128,0 and 0,128,255?

You can't know. Though you can make some guesses based on the likelihood of the changes with the 8 pixels adjacent to n.
martix said:
So why are there no programs out there that do that? Or if there are, could someone point me to them?
There are. Have you never watched CSI?

http://www.makemymood.com/2009/10/21/csi-zoom-story

:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Deblurring Images: Can Blur be Reversed?

1. Can deblurring images fix any type of blur?

No, deblurring images cannot fix all types of blur. It works best on motion blur or blur caused by camera shake. Other types of blur, such as out-of-focus blur, may be more difficult to reverse.

2. How does deblurring images work?

Deblurring images uses algorithms and mathematical techniques to analyze the blur in an image and attempt to reverse it. These techniques involve estimating the blur kernel, which is the pattern of blur in the image, and using it to reconstruct the original image.

3. Can deblurring images completely remove blur from an image?

No, deblurring images cannot completely remove blur from an image. It can improve the sharpness and clarity of the image, but there may still be some residual blur or artifacts present.

4. Are there any limitations to deblurring images?

Yes, there are limitations to deblurring images. It may not work well on images with low resolution or poor quality, and it may not be able to handle extreme levels of blur. Additionally, deblurring images may not work on images with complex or irregular blur patterns.

5. Can deblurring images be used to enhance old or damaged photos?

Yes, deblurring images can be used to enhance old or damaged photos. However, the effectiveness of the deblurring process may depend on the severity of the damage and the quality of the original photo.