Debating Garage Refrigerator Temperature Settings

• Thread starter tewitt1949
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Argument
In summary, the debate is whether or not a fridge can run in reverse if the garage stays below the temperature set by the thermostate. The answer is no, because the refrigerant is flowing in the wrong direction.
tewitt1949
My wife and I have been debateing this (some would call it an argument) but here goes.
We live in mich and gets real cold here. We have a regular refridgerator that we keep in the garage which is unheated and uninsulated. The debate is if the thermostate in the refridg is set at about 35 degrees, during the winter months, below 30 even down to zero degrees, will the fridg run an stay above the thermostate setting, or will it eventally get down to the outside temp (even though the fridg is insulated) and freeze everything in the fridge.
Thanks Terry

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not stop arguing and put a thermometer in the fridge?

The fridge will always approach the garage's temperature, but slowly. If the garage stays less than 30 for an extended period the temperature inside the fridge will slowly approach the less than 30 temperature.

How fast your fridge approaches the garage temperature depends on the insulation of the fridge and the temperature difference between the fridge and the garage.

The fridge will stop working in cold temperatures without a Garage Refrigerator Heater Kit - which by the way, you can investigate at

http://www.frigidaire-store.com/gakithecokit.html

Because the freezer will no longer work, it will eventually, but slowly, reach equilibrium with the garage temperature.

It's a trap! Science be darned, the correct answer is whichever one your wife says!

...though there is no heater in a fridge...

Here's a question: is it possible in principle that, if cold enough outside, the fridge could actually work in reverse? The liquifying/evaporating heat exchange process working the other way?

No. The refrigerant is flowing in the wrong direction.

My wife says she occasionally hears the fridge running when its 25 deg in the garage. I tell her its not possable because its colder in side the fridge than the thermostate is set so it can't be running. She says the insulation is keeping the cold out. She really isn't a blond. Talking to here is like talking to a "I" beam. I do love her though and she is all mine.

Related to Debating Garage Refrigerator Temperature Settings

1. What are the steps to settling an argument in a scientific manner?

The first step is to clearly define the argument by identifying the specific issue being debated. Then, gather all relevant information and evidence, and evaluate each side's arguments objectively. Next, consider different perspectives and seek out additional resources or experts if needed. Finally, make a logical and evidence-based conclusion.

2. How can I ensure that the argument is settled fairly and accurately?

It's important to approach the argument with an open mind and a willingness to consider all evidence and perspectives. It can also be helpful to establish ground rules for the discussion, such as avoiding personal attacks and sticking to facts. Additionally, using a structured and unbiased method for evaluating the evidence can help ensure a fair and accurate resolution.

3. Is it necessary for both parties to agree for the argument to be settled?

No, it is not always necessary for both parties to agree in order for the argument to be settled. The goal should be to reach a logical and well-supported conclusion based on evidence and reasoning. However, it is important for both parties to have a chance to present their arguments and for the resolution to be based on an objective evaluation of all available information.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when trying to settle an argument scientifically?

Some common mistakes include letting personal biases or emotions influence the evaluation of evidence, relying on anecdotal evidence instead of data and facts, and being closed-minded to alternative perspectives. It's also important to be aware of logical fallacies, such as making assumptions or using faulty reasoning, and to avoid them when evaluating arguments.

5. Can scientific methods be used to settle any type of argument?

Scientific methods can be used to evaluate and settle many types of arguments, especially those that involve factual or empirical evidence. However, there may be certain topics or issues that cannot be fully resolved using scientific methods alone, such as matters of personal opinion or belief. In these cases, it may be helpful to seek out additional perspectives and approaches.