Dear Nereid and Phobos (seat belt on) can we talk about redshifts?

• Thread starter rob_we
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Belt
In summary: In summary, redshift difference theory suggests that differences in redshift between different twin-systems may be caused by their different ages.
rob_we
redshift difference theory...

Assuming that the redshift IS an indicator for distance there could be a possible explanation to the topic.:
Assuming furthermore the fact that according to Einstein space and time are just two sides of the same medal and using my thinking model ( www.donut-universe.info[/url] ), the two starsystems would bend the “torusskin” differently to the future as shown in the grafic ( [PLAIN]www.donut-universe.info/templates/twinstar.htm ).
Because the light would travel to the viewer from the big star (a) from a point further in future then from the small star (b), the small star would appear to have a bigger redshift. (its light travels from the past). Due to the expansion of the universe, and again according to my model, the viewer AND the bigstar are constatly increasing the spacetime distance which is causing the supposed acceleration of the smallstar(redshift).
Assuming that the timeline caused by expansion of the torus is linear (onedimesional) but the universe (space) and all inside of it is expanding in space (3 dimensional), this will cause an increasing arch in the torusskin.
So in this case we can not only think about space but about spacetime.
The differences in redshift of different twin-systems could be caused by their age.
Assuming two different twinsystems would have the same mass but a different age, the redshift difference will accordingly be different...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Expansion of the universe only occurs at inter-galactic distances. It does not occur between gravitationally bound objects, such as binary star systems or stars within the same galaxy.

Ummm... why do we need another thread with the same name? Was this one split off from the other?

- Warren

Yes. I suggested that rob_we's post contained some interesting ideas, worthy of discussion ... here in Theory Development, and the rest of the thread could continue in General Astronomy & Cosmology. SelfAdjoint split the post off (I didn't realize it would have the same name).

Chronos, due to my idea it is not "simply not occurring" but not visible because of the "close range" we are in. Remember the experiment (I also mentioned in my theory), about the two clocks that start to differ in time immediately when one clock is put on Earth and one to space. Due to the space-time definition this IS the "redshift" just measured differently.
If the space time difference is now caused by a huge amount of mass-difference and a certain distance to the viewer, the redshift which is increasing on the torusskin that expands, would be definitely visible!
Its like a baloon-skin that swings while being pumped up (without increasing its skin-stress)! The greater the mass difference the greater the time difference.The longer the wave travels the bigger the shift...
Referrence:
www.donut-universe.info/templates/twinstar.htm[/URL]
[url]www.donut-universe.info[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Dear Nereid and Phobos (seat belt on) can we talk about redshifts?

1. What is redshift and how does it relate to Nereid and Phobos?

Redshift is a phenomenon in which light from an object appears to be shifted towards longer wavelengths, or towards the red end of the visible spectrum. This occurs because the object is moving away from the observer, causing the wavelengths of light to stretch. Nereid and Phobos are two natural satellites in our solar system that exhibit redshift due to their orbital motion.

2. Why is it important to study redshifts in relation to Nereid and Phobos?

Studying the redshifts of Nereid and Phobos can provide valuable information about their orbital dynamics and the composition of their surfaces. This can also help us better understand the formation and evolution of these moons.

3. How do scientists measure redshifts of objects like Nereid and Phobos?

Scientists use a spectrograph to measure the wavelengths of light emitted by objects like Nereid and Phobos. By comparing the observed wavelengths to the known wavelengths of elements, they can determine the amount of redshift and calculate the object's velocity.

4. Can redshifts be used to determine the distance of Nereid and Phobos from Earth?

No, redshifts cannot be used to determine the distance of objects like Nereid and Phobos from Earth. They can only tell us about the relative motion of these objects. To determine distance, scientists use other methods such as radar or parallax measurements.

5. Are there any other factors that can cause redshifts besides an object's motion?

Yes, there are other factors that can contribute to redshifts, such as the expansion of the universe and the effects of gravity. However, for objects like Nereid and Phobos in our solar system, their orbital motion is the main cause of redshift.