Dealing with wavelengths, frequencies and speed

In summary, the conversation discusses solving problems involving speed, frequency, and wavelength in different types of waves. The first problem involves a longitudinal wave, where the wavelength is twice the distance between successive compressions. The second problem involves water waves, where the wavelength is the distance between crests. The individual is confused about the difference between these two types of waves and why the wavelength is defined differently for each.
msimard8
Ok, I am working with problems dealing with Speed=(lambda) (frequency).
I have a question in determining whether I am solving these correctly. I sometimes get confused as what the wavelength is.

1. A longitudinal wave with a frequency of 25.0Hz travels along a coil spring. If the distance between successive compressions is 0.500m, what is the speed of the wave.

This is how i solved it. There is no need to show the steps becuase my question comes just when i frame the problem.

frequency=25.0hz
speed is unknown
wavelength is 0.500m

My question is would the wavelength be twice as much as the distance between successive compressions, not 0.500m.

2. Twenty five water waves pass your anchored boat in 1.0 min. If the separation between waves is 2.0m, what is the speed of the waves?

This is how I would set up the problem

N=25
t=1 min x 60 seconds = 60 seconds
v = unknown
wavelength is 2.0m

Same question as the first, would the wavelength be 2.0 m or 4.0 m. Because wouldn't the separation between the waves just be a loop.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
wavelength is the distance between 2 successive points on a wave.
i think what is confusing you is the different types of waves. is that right?

you are right about the first one. the distance between compressions is every half wavelength. do you know why?

for the second one, a wavelength is the distance bewteen crests (actually any two successive points on a wave). do you know why?

Thanks a lot :wink:

if you don't understand the difference you're going to have this problem again. and again. and probably some more after that.

You're saying that the wavelength of the compression wave is 1.0m? Not 0.5m?

Related to Dealing with wavelengths, frequencies and speed

1. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

Wavelength and frequency are inversely related. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula: speed = wavelength x frequency.

2. How do you calculate the speed of a wave?

The speed of a wave can be calculated by multiplying its wavelength by its frequency. This formula is commonly written as speed = wavelength x frequency.

3. What is the difference between wavelength and frequency?

Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a wave, while frequency is the number of waves that pass a given point in a certain amount of time. Wavelength is measured in meters, while frequency is measured in hertz (Hz).

4. How does the speed of a wave vary in different mediums?

The speed of a wave can vary in different mediums, such as air, water, or solids. This is because the speed of a wave is dependent on the properties of the medium, such as density and elasticity. In general, the denser and more elastic the medium, the faster the wave will travel.

5. How does the speed of light compare to other types of waves?

The speed of light, which is a type of electromagnetic wave, is the fastest known speed in the universe. It travels at approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. In comparison, sound waves travel at a much slower speed, around 343 meters per second in air.