Dealing With Large Course Load

In summary, the speaker is currently in their first year of a 2 year diploma program for mining. They are struggling to manage their time and course load, especially with difficult subjects like chemistry and calculus. They are considering dropping a course but are unsure if it is allowed in their full time program. The program requires them to take a high number of courses per semester, which may be unrealistic and has caused concern among others in the conversation.
clipclop
I am currently in the first year of a 2 year diploma program for mining. It's a full time program with about 8-9 courses per semester which comes out to around 29-31 credit hours.

I felt I struggled quite a bit getting through the first two semesters I got two C's last semester and I felt I did not perform well this semester. This semester I tried to manage my time by putting focus on subjects that I felt would be more difficult such as chemistry, physics,surveying and surface mining. The other subjects I had to take were calculus I, mineralogy and petrology, cad and mining safety. I had taken calculus I in the past and I didn't apply for transfer credit because the next semester would also be 8 courses so I felt it to be important to learn time management.

I am wondering what else I could do to manage my large course load.

Physics news on Phys.org
I hope I'm not being a jerk by suggesting that you should take less courses, and especially when your courses become more advanced. I'd totally understand if this were dance and art, but you're talking about calculus and chemistry. Honestly: How much information are you absorbing? You're really not doing yourself a favor here and I feel like you are going to burn out even if you can manage it.

Jprz said:
I hope I'm not being a jerk by suggesting that you should take less courses, and especially when your courses because more advanced. I'd totally understand if this were dance and art, but you're talking about calculus and chemistry. Honestly: How much information are you absorbing? You're really not doing yourself a favor here and I feel like you are going to burn out even if you can manage it.
The school chooses the amount of courses I have to take so I have no choice in that part of it. But I am currently searching to see if I can drop a course in a full time program because it seems I can only do it for a part time program. I will probably have to ask the department head if I can do that.

This is crazy. They are asking you to complete a bachelor's in two years, with no Gen-Ed classes - you could go "part time" and still take double the load of a four-year BS program.

In my second year at naval architect school, we were taking 21-22 hours of the regular engineering course work in 7 courses (subjects like thermo, strength of materials, ODEs, etc.) with one elective, which was either a 2 or 3 hour course. All of these engineering hours were course work with 1 lab (metallurgy) so the homework was quite crazy to keep current. If you survived this semester of the course, chances are you could handle whatever else was thrown at you for the rest of the program, which at that time consisted of a lot of project work with minimal class time.

Our school had a fixed curriculum, so everybody took the same courses at the same time. You could not re-arrange your academic schedule to make things easier.

Still, 30 hours in a semester is a bit much, IMO.

SteamKing said:
In my second year at naval architect school, we were taking 21-22 hours of the regular engineering course work in 7 courses (subjects like thermo, strength of materials, ODEs, etc.) with one elective, which was either a 2 or 3 hour course. All of these engineering hours were course work with 1 lab (metallurgy) so the homework was quite crazy to keep current. If you survived this semester of the course, chances are you could handle whatever else was thrown at you for the rest of the program, which at that time consisted of a lot of project work with minimal class time.

Our school had a fixed curriculum, so everybody took the same courses at the same time. You could not re-arrange your academic schedule to make things easier.

Still, 30 hours in a semester is a bit much, IMO.

This is pretty much how the program is structured. I can't rearrange my schedule and everyone takes the courses at the same time.

Vanadium 50 said:
This is crazy. They are asking you to complete a bachelor's in two years, with no Gen-Ed classes - you could go "part time" and still take double the load of a four-year BS program.

Is it normal for part time courses to be completely different from full time courses? Some of the part time courses offered don't appear to have an equivalent in the full time program.

clipclop said:
Is it normal for part time courses to be completely different from full time courses? Some of the part time courses offered don't appear to have an equivalent in the full time program.

I don't see how this is all that relevant. 31 credit hours is 93-124 hours per week, depending on which rule of thumb you use. That's unrealistic.

clipclop said:
It's a full time program with about 8-9 courses per semester
8-9 courses per semester? That just sounds criminal. Most schools I know of don't even allow students to take more than 7.

This is unfathomable. 31 credit hours is a typical year of courses.

Mondayman said:
8-9 courses per semester? That just sounds criminal. Most schools I know of don't even allow students to take more than 7.

The program requires me to take all of those courses at once. I emailed the department head to see if I can take less courses in the program or not.

Related to Dealing With Large Course Load

What is considered a large course load?

A large course load can vary depending on the individual and the institution. However, typically, a full-time student takes 12-18 credits per semester. If you are taking more than 18 credits, it is considered a large course load.

How can I manage a large course load effectively?

Managing a large course load can be challenging, but there are a few things you can do to make it more manageable. Some tips include creating a schedule, prioritizing tasks, seeking help from professors or tutors, and taking breaks to avoid burnout.

What are the benefits of taking a large course load?

Taking a large course load can have several benefits, such as graduating earlier, saving money on tuition, and challenging oneself academically. It can also demonstrate time management and organizational skills to potential employers.

What are the potential drawbacks of taking a large course load?

While there are benefits to taking a large course load, there are also potential drawbacks. These can include feeling overwhelmed and stressed, sacrificing extracurricular activities or a social life, and potentially impacting one's grades if the workload becomes too much to handle.

How can I determine if a large course load is right for me?

Deciding whether a large course load is suitable for you depends on various factors, such as your academic strengths and weaknesses, your personal and professional goals, and your ability to manage multiple responsibilities. It is essential to evaluate these factors and consult with academic advisors to determine if a large course load is the right choice for you.