Dealing with Bat Poop: Bleach Removes Stains Quickly

• Thread starter Hornbein
  • Start date
In summary, the tree looms over my property, bats eat its fruit, and then poop on my sidewalk. Bleach removes the stains in seconds, but dilute the bleach by a factor of five and nothing happens. I thought it would take five times longer to have the same effect. Nope, nothing doing. Can anyone suggest an experiment that might explain this?
Hornbein
A tall tree looms over my property. Bats eat its fruit then dump their purple poop on my sidewalk. Bleach removes the stains in seconds. But dilute the bleach by a factor of five and nothing happens. I thought it would take five times longer to have the same effect. Nope, nothing doing. Can anyone suggest an experiment that might explain this?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hornbein said:
A tall tree looms over my property. Bats eat its fruit then dump their purple poop on my sidewalk. Bleach removes the stains in seconds. But dilute the bleach by a factor of five and nothing happens. I thought it would take five times longer to have the same effect. Nope, nothing doing. Can anyone suggest an experiment that might explain this?
Bleach interacts with the chromophore, the coloured part of the molecule, in your case fruit juice/ cells.

Diluting it down just has less effect, less molecules are effected to the point where you cannot notice it.

You would need to take concentrations of bleach using the same concentration of bat faeces to assess it.

What species of fruit bat is it?

Animal faeces can make good compost but I would be wary with bats because of possibility of diseases

https://www.crittercontrol.com/wildlife/bats/bat-guano

EDIT. Info on UK bats and disease but globally a different matter

https://www.bats.org.uk/about-bats/bats-and-disease

Hornbein said:
A tall tree looms over my property. Bats eat its fruit then dump their purple poop on my sidewalk.
Natural enemies/predators of fruit bats are owls, hawks, falcons, cats, etc. You might consider putting some decoy predators up in the tree to keep the bats away...

https://a-z-animals.com/blog/bat-predators-what-eats-bats/

There could be some pH effect happening.
Bleach has a pH dependancy, it more reactive below 6.8.
At alkaline pH values of about 8.5 or higher, more than 90 percent of the bleach is in the form of the chlorite ion (OCl-), which is relatively ineffective antimicrobially. At acidic pH values of about 6.8 or lower, more than 80 percent of the bleach is in the form of hypochlorite (HOCl).
Bleach is typically around pH 11.

The particular proportions of bat poop and bleach could result in different pH solutions that could affect its ability to clean (based on bleach's oxidizing ability).

On the other hand, some of bleach's cleaning ability is just due to its high pH.

1. What is bat poop?

Bat poop, also known as guano, is the feces of bats. It is a natural byproduct of their diet and is often used as a fertilizer due to its high levels of nitrogen and phosphorus.

2. Why is it important to deal with bat poop?

Bat poop can carry harmful bacteria and fungi, such as histoplasmosis, which can cause respiratory issues in humans. It can also attract other pests and cause unpleasant odors. Therefore, it is important to properly clean and remove bat poop to maintain a healthy and hygienic environment.

3. How does bleach remove bat poop stains?

Bleach is a powerful disinfectant and stain remover. It contains sodium hypochlorite, which breaks down the proteins and enzymes in bat poop, making it easier to remove. It also has whitening properties that can help to remove any discoloration caused by the poop.

4. Is bleach safe to use for cleaning bat poop?

While bleach is effective in removing bat poop stains, it can be harmful if not used properly. It is important to follow the instructions on the label and wear protective gear, such as gloves and a mask, when using bleach. It is also recommended to properly ventilate the area and avoid mixing bleach with other cleaning products.

5. Can I use other cleaning products instead of bleach?

There are other cleaning products that can effectively remove bat poop stains, such as enzyme-based cleaners or hydrogen peroxide. However, bleach is a more affordable and easily accessible option. It is important to choose a cleaning product that is safe for the surface you are cleaning and to always test a small area before using it on a larger area.