For Pete's sake, why would you do this?

• Thread starter enigma
  • Start date
In summary: The objective of the test/exam was to test/examine the students' knowledge of coding in assembly language.
enigma
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
For Pete's sake, why would you do this??

2 hour final.

CODING

Coding in assembly language
Coding using multiple threads
Coding using A/D conversions on a PC104 board (2 separate programs)

She actually expected us to do it in 2 hours.

By the time 2:45 hours rolled around, she pulled the plug.

WHY?

*I need a hug*

Physics news on Phys.org
A big kitty hug http://geoparent.com/graphics/emoticons/kitty.gif [Broken]

She actually pulled the plug??

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap!

That sounds hard.
I have had crazy hard exams like that also. Luckily for me for all my computer courses the marks are curved. So i just have to make sure i do better than than the majority to get a good mark. I hope your marks are curved also.

Curved marks are crazy.. Just do better than the rest of the class and you get a full mark??

I had a statistical mechanics final that was supposed to be 2 hours. It was 5 problems long. After 2 hours, no one had finished the first problem. Five hours after that, he collected the bluebooks. I was disappointed in my 44. I was happier to find out it was an 'A'. I try to console myself that it was only a small part of my life, but I swear I aged at least 7 years in those 7 hours.

Njorl

Originally posted by Monique
She actually pulled the plug??

Yep. She took a survey to see if everyone wanted 35 more minutes, 2 hours and 35 minutes more (filling out an honor pledge because she had to leave), or if we wanted to finish up then.

The "give up now"s won it, so we stopped.

I got even more pissed later on, after everything was done with: It's complete heresay, but apparently one of the guys in the class, when it became obvious that he didn't have a clue what he was doing and that we were going to finish early, started messing with everyone else.

For several of the problems, we had to remotely log into two QNX machines (similar to Linux, but realtime). In those problems, we needed access to the I/O devices on one of the two, but the memory on that machine was too small to compile there. To use the I/O, you needed to be logged in as the root user.

So the plan was: design the code where you're sitting, ftp the code to the desktop QNX to compile, compile, ftp the program back to your seat, ftp the program to the small microprocessor, switch user to root, run the code, ftp your results back to your seat to process.

What this jerkoff was apparently doing was killing people's ftp processes, executable processes, and compile processes as they were coming up, since he had root access.

I wish I could prove he was doing it (or if I was around when he said that's what he was doing)... :grr:

What was the objective of the test/exam?

What does "For Pete's sake" mean?

"For Pete's sake" is an expression that is used to express frustration, surprise, or exasperation. It is often used as a substitute for stronger language and is believed to have originated from either the biblical figure Saint Peter or the Greek god Zeus.

Why is the phrase "For Pete's sake" commonly used in questioning someone's actions?

The phrase "For Pete's sake" is commonly used in questioning someone's actions because it conveys a sense of disbelief or confusion about the reasoning behind the action. It is often used as a way to express frustration or to persuade someone to reconsider their actions.

Is the use of "For Pete's sake" considered polite?

The use of "For Pete's sake" can be considered polite depending on the context in which it is used. It is generally considered more polite than using stronger language or profanity. However, it can also be seen as impolite if used in a sarcastic or condescending manner.

Can "For Pete's sake" be used in a professional or formal setting?

The use of "For Pete's sake" is not typically appropriate in a professional or formal setting. It is considered a colloquial or informal expression and may come across as unprofessional or disrespectful. It is best to use more formal language in these settings.

Are there any similar phrases to "For Pete's sake"?

Yes, there are several similar phrases that convey a similar meaning to "For Pete's sake." These include "for goodness' sake," "for heaven's sake," and "for crying out loud." They all express a sense of frustration or disbelief about something and are often used as substitutes for stronger language.