De-Rectifying Automobile Alternator

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of removing the rectifier from an automobile alternator in order to produce AC current. It is mentioned that converting three phase AC to a single phase supply is not efficient and using an inverter circuit or transformer may be a better option. However, there may be issues with regulating the frequency and the power needed from the system. Ultimately, it is suggested that the typical method of converting AC to DC and then using an inverter is the most practical solution.
edable
Hi, Automobile Alternators produce AC currents which are converted to DC currents by a diode bridge known as the rectifier.The question is.

How does one remove the rectifier so the Alternator produces AC current only.
How can it be connected to a Transformer
Is there any adverse effect on the Alternator if the rectifier is removed.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Problem is that the alternator output is three phase - before the internal rectification - in order to get a good smooth DC out. If you really need single phase AC, you may need to use an inverter or a different design of alternator.

So what you are saying is that I will still need to convert the three phase AC to DC before it can be utilised if the rectifier is removed right?

I'm saying that converting three phase to a single phase supply is not 'easy' and certainly not efficient. There would be no point in doing your own rectification of three AC outputs from the alternator - it does that very well on its own. I'm suggesting that you could achieve what you want with an inverter circuit which will provide a single phase output from the DC which your alternator gives you.

It really depends upon the sort of 12v(?) load you have which needs AC. If it's a mains operated device then buy an off the shelf DC - mains inverter. What is the actual problem that you need to solve?

Or, the OP could just choose only one phase and use it.

Oh yes, that's a good point. It would depend on how much power was needed but it could turn out to be the easiest solution.

Or run the DC through an inverter. Such beasties are pretty cheap (I bought one to run my telescope's AC drive off my SUV's battery), though the output is not a sine wave. Some equipment won't like the square wave-form.

what am trying to do is upgrade the 12 or 24v current produced by the alternator to a 240V AC, without having to invert from DC to Ac first.Whawill be the best option.

You could take take the 3 phase AC off the alternator, use a transformer on one of the phases and give yourself 240V. Not a very satisfying solution, maybe, and, as I said before, it depends on how much actual power you want off the system. The alternator would have to run at 1/3 of its VA rating.

There is one more issue which you may need to consider. What do you intend to run the alternator from? Unless you regulate the speed of your engine, the frequency of the AC from the alternator will not remain at 50Hz. You obviously couldn't run the system in a vehicle on the move.

AC to DC (in the alternator), followed by an inverter would solve most of your problems - which is why it's usually done that way on RVs and Boats. I think you are swimming against the tide here which will only make sense under particular circumstances.

Related to De-Rectifying Automobile Alternator

1. What is the purpose of de-rectifying an automobile alternator?

De-rectifying an automobile alternator involves removing the rectifier diodes from the alternator circuit. This is typically done to convert the alternator from a DC output to an AC output.

2. Why would someone want to de-rectify their automobile alternator?

There are a few reasons why someone may want to de-rectify their automobile alternator. This could include converting the alternator to be used in an AC generator setup, or to match the electrical system of a different vehicle or equipment.

3. Is de-rectifying an automobile alternator a difficult process?

De-rectifying an automobile alternator can be a complex process and should only be done by someone with experience and knowledge in automotive electrical systems. It involves disassembling the alternator, removing the rectifier diodes, and reconfiguring the wiring to accommodate the new setup.

4. Are there any potential risks or downsides to de-rectifying an automobile alternator?

There are a few potential risks and downsides to de-rectifying an automobile alternator. This process may void the manufacturer's warranty and could potentially damage the alternator if not done correctly. It also requires a good understanding of electrical systems and safety precautions should be taken to avoid electrical shock.

5. Can any automobile alternator be de-rectified?

Not all automobile alternators can be de-rectified. It is important to research and determine if your specific alternator model is capable of being de-rectified before attempting the process. Some alternators may not have the necessary components or may not be able to handle the increased AC output load.