Jesus Struck by Lightning on Mel Gibson's Set

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lightning
In summary, during the filming of Mel Gibson's The Passion of Christ, the actor who played Jesus was struck by lightning but escaped injury. This caused controversy as some Jewish leaders feared the film would blame them for the death of Christ. However, other sources report that it was actually the director of the second unit who was struck. The conversation also includes humorous references to other films featuring Max von Sydow playing various religious figures.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Lightning strikes Jesus on Gibson's Christ film set

The actor who plays Jesus in Mel Gibson's film The Passion of Christ has escaped injury after being struck by lightning during filming.

http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_831648.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's weird! Why have I not heard of this on the news? On a lighter note I think it is funny that the Jewish leaders think that the film might suggest the the Jews were responsible for the death of Christ. Gee, you think!? Pontius Pilot technically didn't make the decision, he left it up to a mob of Jews, and THEY decided THEY wanted to save the other guy (Barnabas was it?).

Actually, it was the director of the second unit. Other sources are not reporting that the actor was hit at all. I believe this source is just sensationalizing.

Njorl

Last edited:
ha! media hype...

Man, I thought you were telling me the real Jesus was struck by lightning on his third coming. (there was a second coming of Christ, but he was tragically killed in a boating accident.)

Originally posted by Chemicalsuperfreak
Man, I thought you were telling me the real Jesus was struck by lightning on his third coming. (there was a second coming of Christ, but he was tragically killed in a boating accident.)

LOL!

I have tears in my eyes, that was hilarious!

Another strange coincidence is that I have heard that many actors who play Christ die young.

I can't find any evidence of this however. Has anyone else heard this?

Well, Max von Sydow lived to a ripe old age. Maybe he dodged the bullet by playing Satan too.

Njorl

Originally posted by Njorl
Actually, it was the director of the second unit. Other sources are not reporting that the actor was hit at all. I believe this source is just sensationalizing.

Njorl

Do you remember all of the hype when The Exorcist was made? 200 Lb. lights fell from rafters, movie sets burst into flames... I think someone did actually die during the filming.

In this case, I like the third coming hypothesis.

Max von Sydow was in The Exorcist too! Wow, he was an exorcist, Jesus, Satan, and also, I believe he was a crusader who played chess with Death. Now all we need is "Buddha", staring Max von Sydow, and he will have pretty much run the gamut.

Njorl

Originally posted by Njorl
Max von Sydow was in The Exorcist too! Wow, he was an exorcist, Jesus, Satan, and also, I believe he was a crusader who played chess with Death. Now all we need is "Buddha", staring Max von Sydow, and he will have pretty much run the gamut.

Don't forget him being in heaven in "What Dreams May Come".

1. Who is Jesus Struck by Lightning on Mel Gibson's Set?

Jesus Struck by Lightning on Mel Gibson's Set is a scientific phenomenon that occurred during the filming of "The Passion of the Christ" in 2003. It refers to a bolt of lightning that struck the set and hit the actor playing Jesus, Jim Caviezel, causing him to suffer minor injuries.

2. How did the lightning strike occur?

The exact cause of the lightning strike is not known, but it is believed to be a natural occurrence due to the location of the set in a high-risk area for thunderstorms.

3. Was anyone else injured during the incident?

No one else was injured during the lightning strike. Jim Caviezel was the only one on set who suffered minor injuries, which included a burnt hand and temporary loss of hearing.

4. Did the incident have any impact on the filming of the movie?

The incident did not have any major impact on the filming of the movie. Production continued as planned after a brief pause to allow for Caviezel's injuries to be treated.

5. Is there any significance or symbolism behind the lightning strike?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest any significance or symbolism behind the lightning strike. It was simply an unfortunate natural occurrence that happened during the filming of the movie.