De Moivres formula for multiple angles. Where does the sinus go?

In summary, the conversation is about the formula (cos(\theta) + isin(\theta)^{n} = (cos(n\theta) + isin(n\theta)) and its relation to multiple angles. The formula can be derived from the multiplication of complex numbers in "polar form" and can also be written in a simpler form using Euler's formula. The main question is about the placement of sin(nx) in the formula for cos(nx), and whether it is related to (cos x +i sinx)^{n}.
mariush
Hi!

Yesterday i read and mostly understood that (cos([itex]\theta[/itex]) + isin([itex]\theta[/itex])[itex]^{n}[/itex] = (cos([itex]n\theta[/itex]) + isin([itex]n\theta[/itex])

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Okay, so what is your question? What about the multiple angles that you mention in your title?

Note that the formula you give can be derived from the formula for multiplication of complex numbers in "polar form"- [itex]r_1(cos(\theta_1)+ i sin(\theta_1))r_2(cos(\theta_2)+ i sin(\theta_2))= (r_1r_2)(cos(\theta_1+ \theta_2)+ i sin(\theta_1+ \theta_2))[/itex].

Also, we can use Euler's formula, [itex]e^{ix}= cos(x)+ i sin(x)[/itex] to write [itex](cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta))^n= cos(n\theta)+ i sin(n\theta)[/itex] in the simpler form [itex](e^{i\theta})^n= e^{i n\theta}[/itex].

Sorry, I'm not best friends with the post publisher today.

My question was about the multiple angles: I understand that
[itex](cos x +i sinx)^{n} = cos (nx) + i*sin(nx)[/itex]. Then i read that [itex]cos (nx) = cos^{n}(x) - (nC2)cos^{n-2}x*sin^{2}(x)- ...-(-1)^{k/2}(nCk)cos^{n-k}(k)*sin^{k}(x) [/itex]

Now, that looks a lot like what I would expect to get from [itex]cos (nx) + i*sin(nx) = (cos x +i sinx)^{n},[/itex] but i cannot figure out where the sin(nx) goes.

My first thought is that [itex]cos (nx) = (cos x +i sinx)^{n} - sin(nx)[/itex]

HallsofIvy said:
Okay, so what is your question? What about the multiple angles that you mention in your title?

Note that the formula you give can be derived from the formula for multiplication of complex numbers in "polar form"- [itex]r_1(cos(\theta_1)+ i sin(\theta_1))r_2(cos(\theta_2)+ i sin(\theta_2))= (r_1r_2)(cos(\theta_1+ \theta_2)+ i sin(\theta_1+ \theta_2))[/itex].

Also, we can use Euler's formula, [itex]e^{ix}= cos(x)+ i sin(x)[/itex] to write [itex](cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta))^n= cos(n\theta)+ i sin(n\theta)[/itex] in the simpler form [itex](e^{i\theta})^n= e^{i n\theta}[/itex].

Hi, and thanks for such a quick response! I'm sorry about the first post. Seems like I hit the submit rather than the preview button, a bit prematurely..

).

De Moivre's formula for multiple angles is a powerful mathematical tool that allows us to find the value of a complex number raised to a multiple angle. This formula states that when a complex number, represented by cos(\theta) + isin(\theta), is raised to the nth power, the resulting complex number is cos(n\theta) + isin(n\theta).

But where does the sinus go in this formula?

The sinus, or the sine function, is represented by the imaginary part of the complex number (isin(\theta)). When raised to the nth power, it remains in the imaginary part of the resulting complex number (isin(n\theta)). This is because the sine function is periodic and has a period of 2\pi, meaning that when we raise it to a multiple angle, it will still have the same value in the imaginary part.

Overall, De Moivre's formula is a useful tool for simplifying complex number calculations and understanding the behavior of the sine function when raised to multiple angles.

Related to De Moivres formula for multiple angles. Where does the sinus go?

1. What is De Moivre's formula for multiple angles?

De Moivre's formula is a mathematical equation that allows for the calculation of the nth power of a complex number. It is written as (cos θ + i sin θ)^n = cos(nθ) + i sin(nθ), where θ is the angle and n is the power.

2. How is De Moivre's formula used to find multiple angles?

De Moivre's formula is used to find multiple angles by raising the complex number to a specific power. This results in a new complex number with a different angle, which can be calculated using the formula.

3. Can De Moivre's formula be used for negative or fractional powers?

Yes, De Moivre's formula can be used for negative or fractional powers. This is because it follows the properties of exponentiation, such as the power of a power rule, which can be applied to complex numbers as well.

4. Where does the sinus go in De Moivre's formula?

In De Moivre's formula, the sinus (sin) is represented by the imaginary part of the complex number, which is multiplied by i. This is evident in the formula (cos θ + i sin θ)^n = cos(nθ) + i sin(nθ), where the imaginary part is i sin(nθ).

5. Can De Moivre's formula be used for non-right angles?

Yes, De Moivre's formula can be used for non-right angles. This is because it calculates the nth power of a complex number, which can represent any angle. However, the angle must be converted to radians before using the formula.