Junior High School Science Fair Project Ideas for Electric Magnets

• Thread starter Brownie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetic
In summary, a high school student is looking for ideas for a science fair project related to electric magnets. Some suggestions include building a motor, creating an Inductrack, or using an EMP. The Inductrack concept involves using permanent magnets in a halbach array to levitate over coils, but the student is unsure about how to proceed with the coils.
Brownie
HEy everyone ... i am a junior in high school, and wondering if any of you could give me an idea for a science fair project dealing with Electric Magnents.

Thanx everyone

Computer science news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Brownie
HEy everyone ... i am a junior in high school, and wondering if any of you could give me an idea for a science fair project dealing with Electric Magnents.

Thanx everyone

you could build a motor? i don't know if its large scale enuf for a high school student but its electromagnetic

What i am looking into doing is working on creating an Inductrack and talk about the different means of propulsion

yea, forget that amd just build an emp. then use it and destoy everyones's eletonic projects that just leaves he kids who built a volvano or a mobile of our soloar system, you will beat then

If you use a car stereo amplifier to power a dc motor, the driveshaft of the motor will twitch and actually play the music. Always thought that was kinda cool. I think an AC motor would actually rotate normally.

But the inductrack thing sounds cool to. Seem kind of difficult. You would need a type of flexible metal. You're talking about the same concept as a slot car right? Or do you mean more technical like the electromagnetic trains?

I'd probably look for some kind of liquid metal that is also magnetic. another option would be using metal clothes hangers. I'm not sure how you would go about building the vehicle, but probably a trip down the toy isle at walmart would land you a vehicle you could attach some magnets to the bottom of and ride on each side of the coat hanger track. Probably some thick balsa wood may prove good enough for a track to mount the hanger on.

Hmm. Remember trying to make elctromagnets and getting burned by the would be magnet, so be carefull with that too.

hi ... i am lookin into the "Inductrack" concept ... it uses permenant magnents in a halbach array to levitate over coils ... the only problem with this is i don't know what to do for the coils ... could any of you help me with that.

Andrew

1. What are electric magnets?

Electric magnets are objects that create a magnetic field when an electric current passes through them. They consist of a coil of wire wrapped around an iron core, creating a strong magnetic field when electricity flows through the wire.

2. What are some examples of science fair projects involving electric magnets?

Some examples of science fair projects involving electric magnets include creating an electromagnet with different materials and comparing their strength, building a simple electric motor using a magnet and wire, and investigating the effects of temperature on the strength of an electromagnet.

3. How do you make an electric magnet for a science fair project?

To make an electric magnet for a science fair project, you will need a battery, wire, iron nails, and a paperclip. Wrap the wire around the iron nails and connect the ends of the wire to the battery. Place the paperclip near the nails and observe how it is attracted to the nails, demonstrating the magnetic field.

4. What are the important safety considerations when working with electric magnets?

When working with electric magnets, it is important to be careful with the electrical components. Always use batteries with the correct voltage and do not handle them with wet hands. Keep the wires and battery away from water to avoid electrical shock. Additionally, be cautious of the strong magnetic field and keep any sensitive electronic devices away from the experiment.

5. How can I incorporate creativity into a science fair project involving electric magnets?

There are many ways to incorporate creativity into a science fair project involving electric magnets. You can explore different materials to see which ones create the strongest magnetic field, design and build a unique structure using magnets, or create a game or puzzle that utilizes the properties of electric magnets. You can also think of real-world applications for electric magnets and design a project around that idea.