De Broglie Formula Application

In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the wavelength of a 30 keV electron using the equations p = h/λ and E = hf. While the frequency is calculated to be 7.619x10^18 Hz, the speed of the electron is needed to find the wavelength. It is suggested to convert the electron's mass-energy into Joules and use the mass of an electron to calculate the speed.
Pyroadept

Homework Statement

Estimate the wavelength of a 30 keV electron.

Homework Equations

p = h/λ
E = hf

The Attempt at a Solution

The electron has 30 keV of mass-energy.
As it is acting as a particle-wave, E = hf, so f = E/h = 30,000x1.6x10^-19/6.3X10^-34 = 7.619x10^18 Hz

Now, v = fλ, so λ = v/f, but this is where I run into a problem, as I'm not told what speed the electron is traveling at - do I assume speed of light, or is there some other way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pyroadept said:
Estimate the wavelength of a 30 keV electron.

Now, v = fλ, so λ = v/f, but this is where I run into a problem, as I'm not told what speed the electron is traveling at - do I assume speed of light, or is there some other way?

Hi Pyroadept! :smile:

If you can convert the eV into J, and if you know the mass of an electron, then you can calculate the speed from the energy. :wink:

I would first clarify with the person who gave me this homework whether or not the speed of the electron is known. If it is not specified, I would assume that the electron is traveling at a non-relativistic speed, since it is not mentioned that it is accelerated to near the speed of light. In this case, I can use the formula for non-relativistic kinetic energy, KE = (1/2)mv^2, and solve for the velocity of the electron, v = √(2KE/m).

Plugging in the values for KE (30 keV converted to Joules) and the mass of an electron, I get a velocity of approximately 5.23x10^7 m/s.

Now, using the formula λ = h/p, and knowing the momentum of the electron is equal to its mass times its velocity, I can solve for the wavelength. Plugging in the values for h, m, and v, I get a wavelength of approximately 2.42x10^-12 meters (or 2.42 picometers).

It is important to note that this is an estimate, as the actual speed of the electron may vary and affect the calculated wavelength. Additionally, if the electron is traveling at a relativistic speed, the equations and calculations would be different. Overall, the De Broglie formula can be a useful tool in understanding the wave-like behavior of particles, but it is important to use it appropriately and accurately in order to get meaningful results.

Related to De Broglie Formula Application

What is the De Broglie formula and how is it applied in science?

The De Broglie formula, also known as the de Broglie relation, is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that relates the wavelength of a particle to its momentum. It is used to describe the wave-like behavior of matter, specifically subatomic particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons.

What is the significance of the De Broglie formula in modern physics?

The De Broglie formula is significant in modern physics because it provides a way to understand the wave-particle duality of matter. It helped to bridge the gap between classical mechanics and the emerging field of quantum mechanics, leading to a deeper understanding of the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

How is the De Broglie formula derived?

The De Broglie formula was first proposed by French physicist Louis de Broglie in 1924. He used Einstein's theory of relativity and Planck's equation for the energy of a photon to show that matter particles, like photons, have both wave-like and particle-like properties. The formula is derived by equating the energy of a particle to its momentum multiplied by the speed of light.

What are some practical applications of the De Broglie formula?

The De Broglie formula has many practical applications in science and technology. It is used in electron microscopy to produce high-resolution images of tiny structures, in electron diffraction to study the crystal structure of materials, and in particle accelerators to determine the energy of particles. It has also been applied in the development of new technologies such as electron microscopy and nanotechnology.

Are there any limitations to the De Broglie formula?

While the De Broglie formula is a powerful tool in understanding the behavior of matter at the subatomic level, it does have its limitations. It only applies to particles with non-zero rest mass and does not account for the effects of relativity or gravity. Additionally, it is only applicable to particles with wavelengths that are smaller than the size of the observer, limiting its use in macroscopic systems.