Is an electron everywhere at once?

• Thread starter steersman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electron
In summary, the conversation reveals that there are different interpretations of quantum theory, with one suggesting that an electron can be in multiple places at once until it is measured. This idea is highlighted by Schrödinger's cat thought experiment. However, there is no conclusive evidence for this interpretation. The conversation also touches on the concept of probability distributions and how they relate to the localization of particles. Some participants also mention the relationship between quantum theory and metaphysical ideas.
steersman
Is an electron everywhere at once within a waveform?

Physics news on Phys.org
and what about a photon?

it's probablity dictates the electron to be in other places rather than the one observed by the experiment, the experiment affects the state of an electron (which is in a superposition).

cheers loop

Originally posted by steersman

and what about a photon?

That cannot be said with any certainty. It is just one untestable interpretation of quantum theory, and I for one am inclined to think it is false.

Check out this thread by loop quantum gravity:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9661

Originally posted by steersman

When bound in an atom their location can be narrowed to a probability density distribution depending on its energy state. However, within the distributions, HUP still applies.

Corrections encourged.

Originally posted by dlgoff
When bound in an atom their location can be narrowed to a probability density distribution depending on its energy state. However, within the distributions, HUP still applies.

Corrections encourged.

The probability distributions are infinite in extent, so saying that the HUP applies "within the distributions" is just another way of saying that the HUP applies everywhere.

Isn't this related to Schrödinger's cat mystery?

The probability distributions are infinite in extent...

Tom,

So even as part of an atom, the electrons probability distribution is everywhere? What about the wave equation solutions for the hydrogen atom for example. I thought that they described various symetrical distribution patterns that are localized (i.e. depending on the its quantum numbers).

Originally posted by dlgoff
So even as part of an atom, the electrons probability distribution is everywhere?

Yes.

What about the wave equation solutions for the hydrogen atom for example.

Take a look at the solutions. They only go to zero asymptotically, at infinity. That means they are nonzero everywhere.

I thought that they described various symetrical distribution patterns that are localized (i.e. depending on the its quantum numbers).

You probably got that impression from looking at those famous 3d polar plots of atomic orbitals, that seem to have definite cutoff points. The thing is, those pictures are generated by imposing a cutoff. That is, they determine the orbital which contains, say, the innermost 90-95% of the probability density, and draw that. To go to 100% would require an infinite amount of space.

The atomic electrons are "localized" only in the sense that their probability densities approach zero as r approaches infinity. The only way to truly localize a particle to a finite region of space is to confine it in a potential well whose walls are infinitely high (on the energy axis). This, of course, is not physically realizable.

Originally posted by Thallium
Isn't this related to Schrödinger's cat mystery?

Yes. The idea is that you do not know exactly where the electron is until you measure it. Since you can only know the result of a measurement, it leaves open the (untestable) interpretation that, inbetween measurements, the electron can be in more than one place at a time, though it does not imply that. The absurdity of such a position was highlighted by Schrodinger with a "quantum cat" that was at once, both dead and alive.

Originally posted by Tom
Yes. The idea is that you do not know exactly where the electron is until you measure it. Since you can only know the result of a measurement, it leaves open the (untestable) interpretation that, inbetween measurements, the electron can be in more than one place at a time, though it does not imply that. The absurdity of such a position was highlighted by Schrodinger with a "quantum cat" that was at once, both dead and alive.

I read an article a few months ago about this "riddle". Sir Roger Penrose wanted to prove that Schrödinger was right. That an electron can be in two places at once. To me however, this sounds more like a metaphysical idea.

...3d polar plots of atomic orbitals, that seem to have definite cutoff points. ...they determine the orbital which contains, say, the innermost 90-95% of the probability density,...

Thanks Tom. I should have thought before asking. But I'm glad I did since you have explained very well what's going on.

Thanks again,

Originally posted by Thallium
To me however, this sounds more like a metaphysical idea.
Maybe Penrose looks for such explanation to prove some of his metaphysical ideas. It shows that measurement problems of an (egocentrical) observer influences his general perception of the reality of the world. The same absurdity is like some people say that the tree that falls in the wood without an observer doesn't makes a sound.

Originally posted by pelastration
The same absurdity is like some people say that the tree that falls in the wood without an observer doesn't makes a sound.

That sounds more like surrealistic poetry:smile:

Originally posted by Tom

Penrose misinterprets the frequency of the particle with the particle itself. Notwithstanding any logic to the contrary.

Originally posted by pelastration
The same absurdity is like some people say that the tree that falls in the wood without an observer doesn't makes a sound.

Doesn't seem all that absurd, really. No different really than the Aspect experiments. I.e. assuming that quantum particles have discrete values when not being watched, which we now know cannot be demonstrated. I would call that the equivalent of the tree in the forest, what would you call it?

A moon-sized asteroid crashing into an earth-like planet 100 million light years away makes a hell-of-a huge sound in that local environment, regardless of whether or not anyone observes it.
Prove that wrong.

I suppose it depends on how you define sound.

Webster's Definition:

1 a : a particular auditory impression : TONE b : the sensation perceived by the sense of hearing c : mechanical radiant energy that is transmitted by longitudinal pressure waves in a material medium (as air) and is the objective cause of hearing

Definitions a and b depend on an observer for a sound to exist whereas definition c differentiates sound and hearing.

Definition c is a physical description so I suppose in this sense a sound would exist if no listener were present.

Originally posted by pallidin
A moon-sized asteroid crashing into an earth-like planet 100 million light years away makes a hell-of-a huge sound in that local environment, regardless of whether or not anyone observes it.
Prove that wrong.
Sure. It was not a moon-sized asteroid but still a serious one. Indeed it made a serious sound. Result: end of the dino's. Not human observers but animal. But they noticed and felt the effects!

Originally posted by Jimmy
I suppose it depends on how you define sound.

Webster's Definition:

1 a : a particular auditory impression : TONE b : the sensation perceived by the sense of hearing c : mechanical radiant energy that is transmitted by longitudinal pressure waves in a material medium (as air) and is the objective cause of hearing

Definitions a and b depend on an observer for a sound to exist whereas definition c differentiates sound and hearing.

Definition c is a physical description so I suppose in this sense a sound would exist if no listener were present.
C is indeed the essential: air molecules were displaced/replaced. With or without human ears: the shockwave occured.

Originally posted by DrChinese
Doesn't seem all that absurd, really. No different really than the Aspect experiments. I.e. assuming that quantum particles have discrete values when not being watched, which we now know cannot be demonstrated. I would call that the equivalent of the tree in the forest, what would you call it?
Here the definition of 'watched' is key. Also the definition of observer seems to be essential. Is a 'particle' an observer? For sure. If the action is resonant to his system: when 'it' notices the effects. We could ask a similar - stupid - question: Will apples grow on the apple-tree when there are no human observers anymore? Sure. Apples will still fall and provoke new apple trees. Gravity still will work. Measurement is just a human bookkeeping of certain aspects of nature but don't influence the basic or general processes.
It's seems that humans are pretty vain about their importance in nature and cosmology.

1. What is the concept of an electron being everywhere at once?

The concept of an electron being everywhere at once is based on the theory of quantum mechanics, which states that particles such as electrons can exist in multiple places simultaneously.

2. How can an electron be in multiple places at the same time?

An electron can be in multiple places at the same time due to its wave-like nature. According to the principles of quantum mechanics, the position of an electron is described by a probability distribution rather than a definite location.

3. Is it possible to observe an electron being everywhere at once?

No, it is not possible to directly observe an electron being everywhere at once. This concept is based on mathematical equations and theories, and cannot be observed in the physical world.

4. Does the position of an electron change when it is observed?

Yes, according to the principle of quantum mechanics, the act of observing an electron causes its position to collapse into a single location. This is known as the "observer effect".

5. What are the practical applications of the concept of an electron being everywhere at once?

The concept of an electron being everywhere at once has led to the development of technologies such as quantum computers and quantum cryptography. It also helps us understand the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.