Truths everyone knows but are wrong

• Thread starter Jikx
  • Start date
In summary, Dennis Weaver's dream is a recurring dream that he has been having for as long as he can remember. In the dream, he always goes to court and is sentenced to death. He pleads with his lawyer, a 'dreamed character,' to save him, but the lawyer always says "No one is tried and executed the same day!" and then Dennis is executed in the dream. If you are reading this and saw this episode of The Twilight Zone, please prove to me that I am not just part of your dream. Wake up!
Jikx
Hopefully not off topic..

Just interested if anyone wants to post a "truth" that everyone knows is wrong, but cannot prove it!

I'll start off -

You don't exist.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good idea!

There are invisible, undetectable monsters under your bed.

The Sock Monster really does exist.

Any theory that does not make measurable predictions cannot be debunked.

I.e.

There are undetectable gnomes resposible for all of the physical forces.

The universe is sentient/self aware.

Originally posted by Jikx

You don't exist.

I could be a figment of your imagination...

And the thing about there being undetectable monsters under my bed, I've detected them before, beyatch.

If you restrict the commonsense leeway enough, virtually everything outside of "I exist" becomes unknowable...

If you restrict it even more the possibility that you are a figment of someone else's imagination comes into play, by which one can't even be sure of one's own existence.

Originally posted by Jonathan
If you restrict it even more the possibility that you are a figment of someone else's imagination comes into play, by which one can't even be sure of one's own existence.
Exactly. It really is crazy that way...

But leave it to the Nihilist to deny everything (that's taking Skepticism too far)...

Heres another:
Nihilists are right.
LOL.

Originally posted by wasteofo2

And the thing about there being undetectable monsters under my bed, I've detected them before, beyatch.

Not those, the other ones.

Originally posted by NateTG
Not those, the other ones.

Jeez, I've discovered 5 different freakin phyla and over 260 different species of monsters and you're telling me there're more?

haha nice.. i can't disprove 0 :wink:

another one i just though of - I live forever !

anything

White mice are really a super intelligent race that has been torturing researchers with nonsense responses for years.

Oh yes, white mice are born with cancer; it just doesn't become detectable until later.

I'm in a coma
(and just dreaming all of this)

=====
i watched the Twilight Zone marathon recently--one of the shows was Dennis Weaver (Chester of the Gunsmoke series) dreaming the same dream every night-the dream always began in the courtroom as he was being sentenced to death-

-the essential story remained the same (yet some of the 'characters' would change-a different Judge, or Priest-who were or had been people he had known in 'reality')...-he pleaded with his lawyer , a 'dreamed character' as he was in jailcell waiting to be be executed in the dream every night-and he attempted to explain his prediciment -persuading him that he (the lawyer) was 'in reality' only a 'dreamed up ' character--

"No one is tried and executed the same day!"...

If you are reading this, and saw this episode...prove I'm not just part of YOUR DREAM...WAKE UP!

Jesus was an alien.

I love my job.

1. What are some common misconceptions people have about the truth?

Some common misconceptions people have about the truth include thinking that something is true just because everyone else believes it, assuming that personal experience is always accurate, and believing that truth is fixed and absolute rather than subjective and evolving.

2. How do societal norms and biases contribute to incorrect truths?

Societal norms and biases can influence what people perceive as the truth and can perpetuate incorrect beliefs. For example, stereotypes and cultural norms can lead to biased views about certain groups of people, which can then shape what is considered to be true about them.

3. Why is it important to question commonly accepted truths?

Questioning commonly accepted truths is crucial because it allows for critical thinking and evaluation of information. It allows us to challenge our own beliefs and assumptions and to consider alternative perspectives, leading to a more accurate understanding of the truth.

4. How can we determine the accuracy of a commonly accepted truth?

The accuracy of a commonly accepted truth can be determined through research, evidence, and critical thinking. It is important to gather information from multiple sources and to consider different perspectives before accepting something as true.

5. What role does personal bias play in accepting incorrect truths?

Personal bias can greatly influence our acceptance of incorrect truths. Our individual beliefs, experiences, and emotions can shape our perception of reality and can make it difficult to objectively evaluate information. It is important to be aware of our biases and to actively seek out diverse perspectives to avoid accepting incorrect truths.