Dc Voltage reduction LiPo battery

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with reducing the input voltage of a control system for a water pump in a racing motorcycle. They are considering using diodes but do not know which ones to buy and would appreciate any assistance. The current draw of the water pump is 12A and they are looking for a solution to reduce the voltage. Suggestions or recommendations are welcome.
oldboyonrgv
Hi
I have what seems to be a untractable problem
On a racing motorcycle I am using a total loss ingition/datalogging and water pump system. To power this I am using a 5000Ma 30C LiPo battery (used because of it light weight and small size). The measured battery output is 15.2 Volts. Both the ignition and datalogger are fine at this voltage as their parameters are 8-16VDC, however the control system for the waterpump is specified 12-13.5VDC. Sure enough when I connect this into the circuit the conroller has all sorts of issues.. Do you guys know of an elegant way to reduce the input voltage to an acceptable level?

I have though of using a couple of diodes in series, but to be honest I don't know which ones to buy!

Any help would be greatfully recieved.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The first thing you need to know is how much current the water pump draws. This will tell you how much current the diodes must handle. When buying diodes I'd buy ones for at least double the amount of current the water pump draws.

The diodes are probably the easiest way to drop a little voltage.

Sorry - Yes max current draw is 12Amps, if the diode solution is the best way I really need to know which ones to get... or some way of calculating the value for them..

Related to Dc Voltage reduction LiPo battery

What is a "Dc Voltage reduction LiPo battery"?

A "Dc Voltage reduction LiPo battery" is a type of lithium polymer battery that is designed to reduce the output voltage of a direct current (DC) source. This type of battery is commonly used in electronic devices that require a lower voltage than what is provided by the power source.

How does a Dc Voltage reduction LiPo battery work?

A Dc Voltage reduction LiPo battery works by using a series of cells with different voltage ratings. When the battery is connected to a power source, the cells work together to reduce the voltage to the desired level. This is achieved through a process called voltage division, where each cell contributes a portion of its voltage to the overall output.

What are the benefits of using a Dc Voltage reduction LiPo battery?

One of the main benefits of using a Dc Voltage reduction LiPo battery is its compact size and lightweight nature. This makes it ideal for use in portable electronic devices. Additionally, due to their high energy density, LiPo batteries can provide longer run times compared to other types of batteries.

Are there any safety concerns when using Dc Voltage reduction LiPo batteries?

Like any other battery, there are some safety concerns when using Dc Voltage reduction LiPo batteries. These batteries have a tendency to overheat and catch fire if they are overcharged or short-circuited. It is important to handle these batteries with care and follow proper charging and storage guidelines to prevent any accidents.

Can a Dc Voltage reduction LiPo battery be used in any electronic device?

Dc Voltage reduction LiPo batteries can be used in a wide range of electronic devices, from small gadgets to larger systems. However, it is important to ensure that the battery is compatible with the device's voltage requirements and that it has the appropriate capacity and discharge rate to meet the device's power needs.