DC Motor for Miniature Car

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a DC motor with an angular velocity of 1340 rad/s for a miniature vehicle. There is confusion about the car's acceleration and whether the given angular velocity can be used to calculate it. Without knowing the specifics of the motor, it is not possible to calculate the acceleration. It is also noted that motors never reach their maximum speed instantly and that torque is inversely proportional to speed.
hobbybuilder
Hello all,

I'm building a miniature vehicle and plan on using a DC motor that supposedly spins at 12800 rpm (1340 rad/s) for the engine. However, I'm a little confused as to what the car's acceleration would be. The DC motor on its own would instantaneously have an angular velocity of 1340 rad/s upon turning it on, but once I connect it to the back wheels, the weight of the car combined with friction from the ground obviously wouldn't allow the car's wheels to jump to 1340 rad/s instantly, but rather they would have an angular acceleration.

I've calculated that the car should theoretically have a max speed of ~97m/s (ignoring the car's weight), since the tires would have a max angular velocity of 1340 rad/s, but is there any possible way I could use the given angular velocity of the DC motor to calculate the angular acceleration of the car's tires after they've been connected to the motor? (factoring in vehicle weight) This would allow me to calculate the car's speed at any given moment.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Without knowing much of the specifics of the motor I don't think there's any way to calculate the acceleration. Also keep in mind that motors never reach their maximum speed instantly, they take a finite amount of time even without a load. Do you have any other information on the motor?

You will need to know how much torque the motor produces. Torque is inversely proportional to speed.

If I understand correctly, 1340 rad/s is the no-load speed of the motor. (At no-load speed all of the torque generated by the motor is consumed by bearing friction and windage -- no useable net torque is available at the output shaft.)

Related to DC Motor for Miniature Car

What is a DC motor for miniature car?

A DC motor for miniature car is a small motor that runs on direct current (DC) and is designed specifically for use in miniature cars. It is typically used to power the wheels of the car and make it move.

What are the main components of a DC motor for miniature car?

The main components of a DC motor for miniature car include a stator (stationary part), a rotor (rotating part), a commutator, and brushes. The stator contains the magnets and the rotor contains the armature, which is connected to the wheels of the car. The commutator and brushes work together to switch the direction of the electrical current, which causes the rotor to rotate.

What is the difference between brushed and brushless DC motors for miniature cars?

Brushed DC motors use brushes and a commutator to switch the direction of the electrical current, while brushless DC motors use electronic controllers to switch the current. Brushless motors are typically more efficient, have a longer lifespan, and require less maintenance compared to brushed motors.

What factors should be considered when choosing a DC motor for miniature car?

Some factors to consider when choosing a DC motor for miniature car include the size and weight of the motor, the speed and torque it can provide, and its power consumption. It is also important to consider the type of motor (brushed or brushless) and the compatibility with the car's power source and electronic controller.

What are some common applications of DC motors for miniature cars?

DC motors for miniature cars are commonly used in remote-controlled cars, model trains, and other small robotic vehicles. They are also used in educational projects and DIY hobbies.