DC-DC converter that can handle reverse current for motors

In summary: It's possible to use a DC-DC converter to step down the battery voltage, but I'm concerned about reverse current. I've read that some DC-DCs can handle bi-directional current flow, but I'm not sure which is which. Does anyone know which is safe to use?In summary, cepheid's DC-DC converter is not compatible with his stepper motor because the controller/servo system has a maximum input voltage of only 24 VDC +/- 10%. The battery voltage in his system exceeds this limit, so he wants to step down and regulate it. However, his concern is with reverse current. He's been investigating whether a DC-DC converter can handle bi-directional current
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have a stepper motor with built-in controller/servo system that requires a supply voltage of 24 VDC +/- 10%. The problem is, the power system I'm using is a lead-acid battery that is normally maintained at a top up voltage of 27 V to 28 V, which exceeds the upper limit motor input. Most of the other 24 V components in my system are fine with inputs ranging anywhere from 18 V to 36 V DC, so this hasn't been an issue before.

I want to step down and regulate the battery voltage using a DC-DC converter, but my concern is with reverse current. My preliminary investigations show that some DC-DCs can handle bi-directional current flow, and some can't, but I haven't been able to find any information about which is which (DC-DC data sheets don't seem to explicitly indicate this).

Does anyone know what kind of DC-DC power supply is suitable for use with a BLDC (or stepper) motor? This must be solved problem.

Thanks,

cepheid.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why will there be a reverse current?

berkeman said:
Why will there be a reverse current?

Because it's an inductive load, and when you try to change directions, you'll have situation where the voltage is being applied in one direction and the current is still in the other (old) direction)?

Alternatively (i.e. equivalently), the motor acts as a generator during braking?

Last edited:
I figured I would bump this thread (once and only once, don't worry). If anyone has any info about this, it would be much appreciated.

cepheid, when you wrote "the power system I'm using is a lead-acid battery that is normally maintained at a top up voltage of 27 V to 28 V" does that indicate the "open circuit" or "no load" voltage? If yes, surely it would decrease by a few (or more) volts once you apply the motor load. If that's the case, then you would not be overstressing the motor. You might try it while monitoring the input voltage.

What exactly is the problem?

Doesn't the controller/servo work at all?
Are you afraid it might get damaged?
Does is work irregularly?

I like Serena said:
What exactly is the problem?

Doesn't the controller/servo work at all?
Are you afraid it might get damaged?
Does is work irregularly?

There is no damage, but the motor controller goes into a fault state and disables itself. This fault is not cleared by power cycling. When I was testing this out with a lab DC supply, the problem occurred at 28 V, but went away when I dialled it down to 24 V.

Bobbywhy: just assume that the battery voltage will always be too high.

My question is simply whether anyone knows what kinds of DC-DCs are used for applications with motors/inductive loads, or how this problem is solved in general. If someone knows the answer to that, great.

What type of power and current levels are you interested in cepheid? If there's not a lot of energy involved then it's pretty easy to build a circuit to just dump it (if it goes over a given threshold).

uart said:
What type of power and current levels are you interested in cepheid? If there's not a lot of energy involved then it's pretty easy to build a circuit to just dump it (if it goes over a given threshold).

The motor is rated for a peak current of 3.4 A.

Can you try some clamping diodes? Is it possible to put clamping diodes to discharge the inductor of the motor. Just a thought.

Also, since you can take 24V+/-10%, can you use diode to just drop the LA battery down to the acceptable voltage? And then use pull down either resistor or current source.

Last edited:

Related to DC-DC converter that can handle reverse current for motors

What is a DC-DC converter that can handle reverse current for motors?

A DC-DC converter that can handle reverse current for motors is a specialized electronic device that converts direct current (DC) electricity from one voltage level to another, while also being able to handle reverse current flow. This is important for motors, as they can generate reverse current during braking or deceleration.

What is the purpose of a DC-DC converter that can handle reverse current for motors?

The purpose of a DC-DC converter that can handle reverse current for motors is to regulate the voltage and current levels in a motor circuit, while also protecting the circuit from potential damage due to reverse current flow. This allows for efficient and safe operation of motors in various applications.

How does a DC-DC converter that can handle reverse current for motors work?

A DC-DC converter that can handle reverse current for motors works by using electronic components such as diodes and transistors to control the flow of electricity and regulate the voltage and current levels. It also has specialized circuitry that can detect and handle reverse current flow, ensuring the motor operates smoothly and safely.

What are the benefits of using a DC-DC converter that can handle reverse current for motors?

The benefits of using a DC-DC converter that can handle reverse current for motors include increased efficiency and control in motor circuits, protection against reverse current damage, and the ability to use a wider range of motors in various applications. This can result in cost savings and improved performance in motor-driven systems.

Are there any limitations or considerations when using a DC-DC converter that can handle reverse current for motors?

While a DC-DC converter that can handle reverse current for motors offers many benefits, there are some limitations and considerations to keep in mind. These include the size and cost of the converter, potential heat dissipation issues, and the need for proper installation and maintenance. It is important to carefully select and use the appropriate converter for a specific motor application.