DC current -- Find the 3 currents in this Battery + Resistor circuit

In summary: When you do your "KVL walk" around the loop, if you pass though a resistor in the same direction as its current then you have a potential drop. If you pass through a resistor against the current flow then you have a potential rise. Write the signs of the terms in your KVL equiations accordingly.OK I got it , thanks alot :)
jake jungle

Homework Statement

upload_2015-2-3_21-10-18.png

Find I1 , I2 and I3

Homework Equations

I = E / R
I3 = I1 - I2

The Attempt at a Solution

its the trouble with parallel different emf . I know a formula how to combine them into one but it needs inner resistance . i don't know how to do it with the ideal circuit . The combine emf will go to bigger emf or the sum of them ? and how to find the current then ? please help :(

Physics news on Phys.org
jake jungle said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 78584

Find I1 , I2 and I3

Homework Equations

I = E / R
I3 = I1 - I2

The Attempt at a Solution

its the trouble with parallel different emf . I know a formula how to combine them into one but it needs inner resistance . i don't know how to do it with the ideal circuit . The combine emf will go to bigger emf or the sum of them ? and how to find the current then ? please help :(
When in doubt, apply the basics: KVL and KCL. You've already written a correct KCL equation for the circuit. Now what can you do with KVL?

gneill said:
When in doubt, apply the basics: KVL and KCL. You've already written a correct KCL equation for the circuit. Now what can you do with KVL?

so i do it like this :
I1(2+4) +3I3 - 24 = 0 (KVL)
I2(5+1) + 3I3 - 12 = 0 (KVL)
I1 = I2 + I3 (KCL)

and i solve this and got I1 = 3 A , I2 = 1A , I3 = 2A
Am i wrong somewhere cause the answer should be I1=3.5A and I2 =2.5A instead

jake jungle said:
so i do it like this :
I1(2+4) +3I3 - 24 = 0 (KVL)
I2(5+1) + 3I3 - 12 = 0 (KVL)
I1 = I2 + I3 (KCL)

and i solve this and got I1 = 3 A , I2 = 1A , I3 = 2A
Am i wrong somewhere cause the answer should be I1=3.5A and I2 =2.5A instead
Yes, your second KVL equation is incorrect. You didn't take into account the defined direction of i3.

gneill said:
Yes, your second KVL equation is incorrect. You didn't take into account the defined direction of i3.

the direction of i2 and i3 quite confusing
so i reveresed the direction of i2 to apply KVL more easily , therefore i got these equations :
i1(2+4) +3i3 - 24 = 0 (KVL)
i2(5+1) + 3i3 +12 = 0 (KVL)
i3 = i1 + i2 (KCL)

and i got right answer i1 = 3.5A , i2 = -2.5A (due to reversing the direction )

However , if i don't reverse i2 , am i able to use kvl with the second loop ? cause the current is not in the same direction and it confused me .

Just leave the currents defined as they are on the diagram. That will make sure that the signs of the currents that you obtain will agree with their definitions on the circuit diagram.

When you do your "KVL walk" around the loop, if you pass though a resistor in the same direction as its current then you have a potential drop. If you pass through a resistor against the current flow then you have a potential rise. Write the signs of the terms in your KVL equiations accordingly.

Likes jake jungle
OK I got it , thanks alot

Related to DC current -- Find the 3 currents in this Battery + Resistor circuit

1. What is DC current?

DC current, or direct current, is a type of electric current that flows in one direction only. It is typically produced by batteries or power supplies and is used in electronic devices.

2. How is DC current different from AC current?

Unlike DC current, which flows in one direction, AC current, or alternating current, changes direction periodically. AC current is typically used for power transmission over long distances, while DC current is used for shorter distances.

3. What are the 3 currents in a Battery + Resistor circuit?

The 3 currents in a Battery + Resistor circuit are the battery current, the resistor current, and the total circuit current. The battery current is the flow of electrons from the battery's positive terminal to its negative terminal. The resistor current is the flow of electrons through the resistor, and the total circuit current is the sum of the battery and resistor currents.

4. How is current measured in a circuit?

Current is measured in amperes (A), which is the unit of electric current. In a circuit, current can be measured using a device called an ammeter, which is connected in series with the circuit and measures the flow of electrons through it.

5. How does a resistor affect the flow of current in a circuit?

A resistor is a component that resists the flow of electrons in a circuit. It reduces the amount of current flowing through the circuit and converts some of the electrical energy into heat. The higher the resistance of a resistor, the lower the flow of current in the circuit.