Did Einstein's Work Affect All Areas of Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses how Einstein's work has affected various areas of physics. Despite his disbelief in quantum theory, his ideas have influenced fields such as the photoelectric effect and the theory of relativity. However, it is noted that he did not contribute significantly to areas such as subatomic particles or fluid mechanics. There is also mention of his attempt to unify different principles in physics, but ultimately his impact may not be as significant in certain areas as it is in others.
eNtRopY
I challenge you to name at least one area of physics that the work of Einstein did not somehow affect. If you take this challenge, you, like your pathetic parents, are destined for failure.

eNtRopY

Physics news on Phys.org
Since nothing makes you happy anymore, I suppose you get sick kicks out of sort of thing

well he didn't believe in quantum theory so i can't see how his ideas would be able to influence this field *runs and hides*

The name. It was called "Physics" before Einstein and it is called "Physics" today.

Phlogiston.

It could be hydrodynamics...fluid mechanics...probably...
But these examples are quite rare...

Originally posted by steppenwolf
well he didn't believe in quantum theory so i can't see how his ideas would be able to influence this field *runs and hides*

* SHOOTS FROM THE HIP *
Photo-electric effect!
* BANG! *

D.O.A.

eNtRopY

einstein is considered one of the "parents" of QM...
einstein-podolski-rosen paradox...the laser...and more are related to einstein...but that fluid stuff isn't...I guess...:)

Originally posted by bogdan
It could be hydrodynamics...fluid mechanics...probably...
But these examples are quite rare...

Hydrodynamics and fluid mechanics (its subset) both incorporate Fick's Law... a very basic mathematical principle. Could we really use Fick's Law in physics without the Einstein Relationship?

* POW! SOCK! BIFF! *

Who's next?

eNtRopY

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
Phlogiston.

Why don't talk about phlogiston on a board where people still believe in ether, impetus, and cold fusion?

* BAM! right in the nuts *

eNtRopY

I'm stupid...but what's thate "Einstein's relationship" ?

Well...Einstein did not work on the GUT...at least not for weak and strong interactions...
And...fluid mechanics is a subset of hydrodynamics ?

Last edited:
Originally posted by eNtRopY
Why don't talk about phlogiston on a board where people still believe in ether, impetus, and cold fusion?

* BAM! right in the nuts *

eNtRopY

(**Picks up a piece of the nut(s) that Entropy just cracked, and enjoys eating it**) **MUNCH*^*MUNCH**

Actually, Einstein believed in the Ether, just that, he, like other believers in the Ether, couldn't prove it.

There was evidence that disproved two of, the then known, possible 'etherial operation' explanations, the third option was neither, known, nor explored.

Hence the answer is the Ether. Einsteins personal work was not what disproved that one, neither is there exsisting, today, a method of validation/test that has been tried/tested, for the third option.

what did einstein do in thermodynamics?

Originally posted by steppenwolf

Except for the fact that he got his Nobel prize for his explanation of the photoelectric effect, which became one of the foundations of QM.

Originally posted by Janus
Except for the fact that he got his Nobel prize for his explanation of the photoelectric effect, which became one of the foundations of QM.

However, he never got involved in subatomic particles. The majority of his work is based on a macro conception.

Originally posted by maximus

* click click *
Again, the Fick's Law and the Einstein Relation.
* BOOM! *

* the remains of maximus are now splattered on the wall that previously behind him *

eNtRopY

Well...Einstein did not work on the GUT...at least not for weak and strong interactions...

* bogdan quivers as he lies on the ground holding on to dear life *

Except that the primary goal of GUT is to unite every principle physical process... and of course explain Einstein's GR with this theory.

* slit *
* eNtRopY puts bogdan out of his misery *

eNtRopY

Originally posted by maximus

Before entropy gets in there with the knife, see his 1905 paper on the Brownian motion and Avogadro's constant.

He never contributed to subatomic particle theory

Originally posted by einsteinian77
He never contributed to subatomic particle theory

Sure he did. First, he postulated the existence of the photon, which is on the list of "subatomic particles". Second, the Standard Model is a union of the electroweak theory and QCD, two relativistic quantum field theories. We all know the Standard Model won't last, but the candidates to take it over (namely String Theory and Loop Quantum Gravity) are also relativistic.

Acoustics! Although i don't think its possible for any scientist to effect it since pretty much done with.

He never contributed to the expanding universe that was observed by Hubble too.

Last edited:
I think entropy is enjoying this a little bit too much. Didnt einstein try to Unify the different stuff in Fluid mechanics? I said try because he was never able to do it(if he tried that is) but I am with entropy on this one.

Do i get to shoot people as well?

He never contributed to the expanding universe that was observed by Hubble too.

but he predicted it.

well..einstein didn't know about weak and strong interactions...he tried to unify gravity with electromagnetism...
So...QCD is a domain where einstein had nothing to say...
Of course you can say that he had something to do with it...but it's like saying that Newton worked on the GUT because he tried to unify the movement of cosmic bodies with bodies on earth...
Let's not get too excited...einstein played a major role in physics...but he didn't influenced too much some areas...
Well...if a theory uses certain principles (like relativity) it doesn't mean that the creator of relativity had something to say about that theory...like the guy that invented in maths the method of induction...or the Fourier transform (Fourier)...Fourier wasn't interested in sginal processing and stuff like that...he used it for "heat diffusion" (I don't know the exact words for it)...so...
...reality check...

Last edited:
Maximus, Einstein never predicted the expanding universe. In fact, he had to change "his biggest blunder", or cosmological constant, to agree with the expanding universe.

Maximus, Einstein never predicted the expanding universe. In fact, he had to change "his biggest blunder", or cosmological constant, to agree with the expanding universe.

but he only developed the cosmological constant to undo the concludion he found in all his other calculations, which was the the universe could not be static. he never officially predicted it, you're right, but it was right there in front of him. if he had only stuck with it he could have.

As I had stated earlier the Ether.

From this site, http://www.tu-harburg.de/rzt/rzt/it/Ether.html this address/speech, in his own words, "Albert Einstein, an address delivered on May 5th, 1920, in the University of Leyden"

A part of which is: "But on the other hand there is a weighty argument to be adduced in favour of the ether hypothesis. To deny the ether is ultimately to assume that empty space has no physical qualities whatever."

His work had 'no effect' on resolving the Etherial question, his opinion on it remained the same, even though the idea was, then, thought to have been disproven.

** Watches as eNtRopY<>Atrophies ** (a bit like melting)

Last edited by a moderator:
what about engineering physics like moments, stresses and strains did he do anything there?

well..einstein didn't know about weak and strong interactions...he tried to unify gravity with electromagnetism...
So...QCD is a domain where einstein had nothing to say...

Electroweak and QCD are both relativistic quantum field theories. Special relativity is built into it!

Yes...but as I said earlier...that doesn't mean that Einstein had something to say in that area...for example Newton...he invented calculus...but that's just a tool...you can't give credit to the guy who invented the wheel just because it is used to build the space shuttle...got it ?

Yes...but as I said earlier...that doesn't mean that Einstein had something to say in that area...for example Newton...he invented calculus...but that's just a tool...you can't give credit to the guy who invented the wheel just because it is used to build the space shuttle...got it ?

No, you wouldn't give credit to the guy that invented the wheel for the development of the Space Shuttle, however, the wheel did influence the design of the shuttle, as well as Roman Chariots had an influence on the Space Shuttle.

The width of the solid fuel boosters was limited by the widest item that could be carried on a train and train track width was based on cart path width which dates back to Roman Chariot wheel ruts.

Not all inventions owe as much to the wheel, say for instance glass bottles, or pants, or scissors.

The point is, would the development of an idea be the same or even be possible without Einstein's influence?

By the way, my first point still stands: the name, Physics, is still the same.

No, you don't quite have it yet. If QCD is a space shuttle, SR is not just a tire on the landing gear, it's one of the rockets.

* Suddenly smokes bombs are launched through the windows. Glass shatters everywhere. A blanket of black fog completely darkens the room.

eNtRopY, equipped with infrared goggles, enters the room on a repelling cord. He shouts in seven different languages, All true Einstein fans hit the deck NOW!

Using an AK-47 assult rifle, he sweeps the room at waist height. *

selfAdjoint: I was saving Brownian motion for later.

einsteinian77: If he never contributed to subatomic particle theory, then why is it that E = mc^2 is the bread and butter of particle physics?

einsteinian77: Concerning acoustics, he showed that the Doppler shift is a special case of the relativistic Doppler shift.

Andy: Sorry partner, this town only has enough room for one sherrif.

bogdan: QCD is all about relativity. Besides, let it go you're already dead.

Mr. Robin Parsons: Get a real reference, you fvckin' fvck. Einstein was the first to reject the concept of ether!

cmdr_sponge: Einstein showed that classical mechanics (engineering physics as you call it) is just a special case of relativistic mechanics.

* Everyone who was standing is now dead. *

R.I.P.

eNtRopY

he did nothing for experimental physics.