Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

David's question at Yahoo! Answers (horizontal tangente plane).

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
David's question at Yahoo! Answers (horizontal tangent plane).

Here is the question:

Find the point(s) on the surface at which the tangent plane is horizontal.? z = 3 − x^2 − y^2 + 8y
(x, y, z) = ( )
Here is a link to the question:

Find the point(s) on the surface at which the tangent plane is horizontal.? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

P.S.
Of course I meant in the title tangent instead of tangente (It is hard to forget our mother tongue). :)

Last edited:

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
Hello David,

The equation of the tangent plane to a surface $\phi :z=f(x,y)$ at the point $P_0(x_0,y_0,z_0)$ of $\phi$ is

$\pi: \phi_x(P_0)(x-x_0)+\phi_y(P_0)(y-y_0)-1(z-z_0)=0$

The plane $\pi$ is horizontal if and only if $\phi_x(P_0)=\phi_y(P_0)=0$. In our case if and only if $-2x_0=0$ and $-2y_0+8=0$. We get $x_0=0,y_0=4$.

As $P_0$ belongs to the surface, $z_0=3-0^2-4^2+8\cdot 4=19$. The solution is $(x_0,y_0,z_0)=(0,4,19)$.

HallsofIvy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
Another way to do this: [tex]z= 3 − x^2 − y^2 + 8y[/tex] can be thought of as "level surface": [tex]f(x, y, z)= z+ x^2+ y^2- 8y= 3[/tex]. The gradient, [tex]\nabla f= 2x\vec{i}+ (2y- 8)\vec{j}+ \vec{k}[/tex], is perpendicular to the surface and so the tangent plane (which is, of course, also perpendicular to the normal curve) is parallel to the xy-plane if and only if that gradient is vertical- that is, that 2x= 0 and 2y- 8= 0.