Database relationship tool needed

In summary, the conversation is about creating diagrams for database tables and the use of freeware for this task. The individual is looking for recommendations and mentions using a Sybase database. Another person suggests using a trial version of Erwin, which could fulfill their needs. The individual also mentions having already written a program for pulling column information, but is worried about the length of the final document.
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just got handed an assignment to document our database tables. I would rather not have to do this manually and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any freeware that will allow me to create diagrams of the tables and relationships between the tables.

Technology news on Phys.org
Which RDBMS do you use? A trial version of Erwin might do everything that you need.

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
Which RDBMS do you use? A trial version of Erwin might do everything that you need.

Thanks MIH, I'll look into it. We're using a Sybase database. I've already written a quick program to pull all of the needed column info for each of the tables. Except for the definitions, that will kill an entire appendix.

Related to Database relationship tool needed

1. What is a database relationship tool?

A database relationship tool is a software or program that helps to define and manage the relationships between data in a database. It allows users to create, modify, and view connections between different elements in a database.

2. Why is a database relationship tool needed?

A database relationship tool is needed to ensure data integrity, improve data organization and accessibility, and to prevent data redundancy. It also helps to make complex databases more manageable and easier to understand.

3. How does a database relationship tool work?

A database relationship tool works by allowing users to create relationships between tables or data entities in a database. It uses rules and constraints to define the type and strength of the relationship between data elements.

4. What are the types of relationships that can be defined using a database relationship tool?

The most common types of relationships that can be defined using a database relationship tool are one-to-one, one-to-many, and many-to-many. Other types may include hierarchical, recursive, and self-referential relationships.

5. Are there any popular database relationship tools available?

Yes, there are many popular database relationship tools available, such as MySQL Workbench, Microsoft Access, Oracle SQL Developer, and ER/Studio. These tools offer a variety of features and functionality to help manage database relationships.