Dark Energy as Gravitational Tidal forces?

In summary: Would radial (time dimension) tidal forces fit with the measured accelerated expansion of the universe, a.k.a dark energy? (In other words, is the central singularity, which would be the source of dark energy, rather than pulling the universe apart in space, is pulling it apart in time?)-I'm not sure that this would fit at all. If the singularity is in the spatial dimension, then the tidal forces would be in the spatial dimension as well. If the singularity is in the time dimension, then the tidal forces would only exist in the time dimension. >>Would longitudinal (spatial) tidal forces fit with dark-matter measurements?
Glurth
I’ve read a bunch of post about how the universe does not exist inside, nor is, a black-hole.

Still, for my question I would like to assume the universe exists within an event horizon (actually highly curved space-time, that locally, appears flat), and has a massive singularity at the “central” event (in the inevitable future). (With this additional specificity I’m trying, probably unsuccessfully, to get around the arguments listed in this faq: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=506992 )

Considering that the radial dimension (“distance” to central-singularity) may indeed be our time dimension (as we free-fall towards the central event, we experience the passage of time), this makes me ask a few obvious questions, but I can’t seem to find the answers out there.

Would radial (time dimension) tidal forces fit with the measured accelerated expansion of the universe, a.k.a dark energy? (In other words, is the central singularity, which would be the source of dark energy, rather than pulling the universe apart in space, is pulling it apart in time?)

Would longitudinal (spatial) tidal forces fit with dark-matter measurements? (object’s close to each other, appear to get pulled towards each other as they fall towards the singularity which is directly between them spatially, but in the future.)

Would spaghettification fit with/account for the “smoothness” we observe in the distribution of energy and matter in the universe?

Would the mathematical description of the event horizon (possibly as a 3-brane), as experienced locally, fit with the mathematical models of the big bang?

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org
I don't believe any of your ideas would work.

Glurth said:
Still, for my question I would like to assume the universe exists within an event horizon (actually highly curved space-time, that locally, appears flat), and has a massive singularity at the “central” event (in the inevitable future).

Nearly flat spacetime seems to be the very opposite of "highly curved".

Considering that the radial dimension (“distance” to central-singularity) may indeed be our time dimension (as we free-fall towards the central event, we experience the passage of time), this makes me ask a few obvious questions, but I can’t seem to find the answers out there.

While a singularity may exist in our future, I'm not sure it quite matches up with the singularity of a black hole. I think, but am not certain, that the singularity in a black hole also lies in the spatial dimension. By that I mean that you can move through space to get closer to it.

Would radial (time dimension) tidal forces fit with the measured accelerated expansion of the universe, a.k.a dark energy? (In other words, is the central singularity, which would be the source of dark energy, rather than pulling the universe apart in space, is pulling it apart in time?)

I've never even heard of tidal forces in a time dimension. I'm not sure that even makes any sense since we can only travel one way through time.

Would longitudinal (spatial) tidal forces fit with dark-matter measurements? (object’s close to each other, appear to get pulled towards each other as they fall towards the singularity which is directly between them spatially, but in the future.)

This doesn't make any sense. The singularity cannot be in between two objects in the spatial dimension. It's simply not possible. It would appear everywhere all at once.

Would spaghettification fit with/account for the “smoothness” we observe in the distribution of energy and matter in the universe?

Not at all. Why would it?

Drakkith, you mean nearly flat space, not space-time.

Hi Drakkith,

Thanks for the great reply. Allow me to clarify what I meant; my use of the proper language is obviously poor. I hope you reply again, good stuff.

>>"Nearly flat spacetime seems to be the very opposite of "highly curved".
-I agree 100%. This is why I qualified with "appears" and "locally". Consider the surface of a sphere: highly curved, yet on a small enough section of the surface, it "appears" flat locally. If my original comment is NOT a correct description of the event horizon of a super-massive black hole, please correct me.

>>While a singularity may exist in our future, I'm not sure it quite matches up with the singularity of a black hole. I think, but am not certain, that the singularity in a black hole also lies in the spatial dimension. By that I mean that you can move through space to get closer to it.
-I see what you’re saying about the singularity existing also in a spatial dimension. Probably I misunderstand, but can you move AWAY from the singularity in the spatial dimension, once inside the event horizon? If so, then ignore the following. If not, then that spatial dimension is starting to appear as unidirectional as time, how could one even distinguish them? And, would it be accurate to say that any spatial component of the radial dimension becomes "folded-up" and inseparable from the time dimension component?

>>I've never even heard of tidal forces in a time dimension. I'm not sure that even makes any sense since we can only travel one way through time.
-This comment threw me off, I thought gravity bent space-time, not just space. Regarding it making sense given the unidirectional nature of time: these tidal forces would pull objects that are closer to the singularity through the radial/time dimension, into the future, "faster" than objects farther away. Example: for every minute we move into the future, distant galaxies (in the past) move only ..say.. 30 seconds into the future, (at least as we perceive it. They would perceive the opposite.) Nothing is going backwards in time here, except perhaps the "bend" in space-time, which is not really moving nor changing shape anyway.

>>This doesn't make any sense. The singularity cannot be in between two objects in the spatial dimension. It's simply not possible. It would appear everywhere all at once.
-Sorry, this was a poor description. When I said "between", I did not mean, DIRECTLY between. I meant it more like "the apex of an equilateral triangle is between the two other points of the triangle. If those two other points fall towards the apex, they will get closer together." Also regarding it appearing everywhere at once, it WOULD, once we reach that event. Hmm, "everywhere at once", sounds similar to descriptions of the big bang, and is perhaps not so physically impossible after all. Regardless, of how poorly I describe longitudinal tidal forces, I would like to re-ask the question about it fitting it dark-matter measurements.

>>Speghettification: Not at all. Why would it?
-For some reason I was thinking speghettificiation was a process that occurred before objects pass into the event horizon, where highly curved world-lines spread the object out evenly across the surface of the event horizon. But reading up on it a bit more (after seeing your answer), I see now that I was totally off base, and speghettificiation is simply due to tidal forces. (I also see now that my earlier consideration that space-time at an event horizon appears locally, to be flat, would also eliminate such an effect.)

Great fun, thanks again!

I find this question intriguing and thought-provoking. While it is true that the current understanding of dark energy does not involve gravitational tidal forces, it is important to keep an open mind and explore new ideas and theories.

The concept of the universe existing within an event horizon and having a massive singularity at its center is certainly an interesting idea. However, it is important to note that this is just a hypothetical scenario and there is currently no evidence to support it.

In terms of your questions about tidal forces and their relationship to dark energy and dark matter, it is difficult to say without further research and evidence. However, it is important to remember that dark energy and dark matter are still largely unknown and mysterious phenomena, and there may be many different explanations for them.

Regarding the idea of spaghettification and its relationship to the smoothness of the universe, it is an interesting concept to consider. However, it is important to note that the smoothness of the universe is also a result of other factors such as inflation and the expansion of the universe.

In terms of the mathematical description of the event horizon and its relationship to the big bang, there is currently no evidence to support this connection. However, it is always important to continue exploring new theories and ideas in order to further our understanding of the universe.

In conclusion, while your ideas are certainly intriguing, it is important to remember that they are still just hypotheses and require further research and evidence to be considered as potential explanations for dark energy and dark matter. As scientists, we must always be open to new ideas and continue to explore and question our understanding of the universe.

Related to Dark Energy as Gravitational Tidal forces?

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. It is believed to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe, but its exact nature and origin are still unknown.

2. How does dark energy cause gravitational tidal forces?

Dark energy is thought to have negative pressure, which leads to a repulsive force that counteracts the gravitational pull of matter. This repulsive force is what causes the expansion of the universe to accelerate, and it also contributes to the formation of tidal forces in large-scale structures like galaxies and galaxy clusters.

3. What is the difference between dark energy and dark matter?

Dark energy and dark matter are two separate components of the universe that are often confused. While dark energy is thought to be responsible for the expansion of the universe, dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light and can only be detected through its gravitational effects. Dark matter makes up about 25% of the universe's total energy, while dark energy makes up about 70%.

4. How do scientists study dark energy and gravitational tidal forces?

Scientists study dark energy and gravitational tidal forces through various methods, including observations of the large-scale structure of the universe, such as the distribution of galaxies and galaxy clusters. They also use the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the leftover radiation from the Big Bang, to study the expansion history of the universe and the effects of dark energy on it.

5. Can dark energy and gravitational tidal forces be harnessed for practical use?

At this time, there is no known way to harness dark energy or gravitational tidal forces for practical use. These phenomena are still not fully understood, and their effects are only observed on a large scale in the universe. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology may lead to potential practical applications in the future.