Daniell Cells - Effect of conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses a chemistry extended experimental investigation on the variables affecting a Daniell Cell's voltage. The main focus is on the reasoning behind voltage changes, specifically the effects of temperature and solution concentrations. The person conducting the investigation is looking for a simpler explanation and possible visualizations to understand these concepts. It is noted that increasing the temperature can cause a slight increase in voltage, and that the further the system is from equilibrium, the stronger the forces pushing it towards equilibrium. Additionally, it is clarified that temperature is not a product of the reaction, but heat can be.
Shaybay92

Homework Statement

I am doing a chemistry extended experimental investigation on the variables affecting a Daniell Cell's voltage. I am required to understand the reasoning behind voltage increase and decrease for particular conditions. I have done extensive research, but am unable to find a decent explanation that does not go into too much physics and complexity. Please keep in mind that this is a CHEMISTRY investigation.

I would like to know why temperature increase in solutions causes a slight voltage increase (at least initially), also why the concentrations of the solutions would affect voltage. For example, increasing Cu2+ at the site of reduction and reducing Zn2+ at the site of oxidation would (I believe) increase voltage.

Please if possible, give me some sort of an analogy or way of visualizing what exactly is going on. I appreciate this very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
The further system is from equilbrium, the stronger are forces that push it into equilibrium position.

Thanks! That helps with the concentration part of things, but how about temperature? Is temperature a product of the reaction? How would increasing the temperature of both solutions cause the reaction to shift further from equilibrium?

Last edited:
Temperature is not a product of the reaction, heat can be.

Related to Daniell Cells - Effect of conditions

1. What is a Daniell cell?

A Daniell cell is an electrochemical cell that was invented by John Frederic Daniell in the 1830s. It is composed of a copper electrode immersed in a solution of copper sulfate, and a zinc electrode immersed in a solution of zinc sulfate, connected by a salt bridge.

2. How does temperature affect the performance of a Daniell cell?

Temperature has a direct effect on the performance of a Daniell cell. As temperature increases, the rate of the chemical reactions in the cell also increases, leading to a higher current and better performance. However, extreme temperatures can also damage the cell and decrease its performance.

3. What is the effect of concentration on a Daniell cell?

The concentration of the solutions used in a Daniell cell can affect its performance. Higher concentrations of the electrolyte solutions can increase the conductivity and therefore the current of the cell, resulting in a higher voltage and better performance. However, extremely high concentrations can also lead to unwanted side reactions and decrease the efficiency of the cell.

4. How does the surface area of the electrodes impact a Daniell cell?

The surface area of the electrodes is directly related to the performance of a Daniell cell. A larger surface area allows for more reactions to occur, resulting in a higher current and better performance. However, if the surface area is too large, it can also lead to unwanted side reactions and affect the overall efficiency of the cell.

5. What is the role of the salt bridge in a Daniell cell?

The salt bridge in a Daniell cell serves as a pathway for ions to flow between the two half-cells, allowing for the electrical circuit to be completed. It also prevents the two solutions from mixing, which could disrupt the chemical reactions and affect the performance of the cell. The salt bridge is an important component in maintaining the balance of charges in the cell and ensuring its proper functioning.