Damping coefficient in damping mechanisms

In summary, The conversation discusses the design of an element that provides stiffness and damping using rubber as the material. The speaker's question is how to calculate the damping coefficient (c) for the term c*dx/dt, given the loss factor of the rubber (η=0.075) and the geometry of the element. The response suggests using a damped oscillator and experimenting to estimate c, with a link provided for further information.
Vaggelis
Hello everyone,

I am trying to design an element that its purpose is providing stiffness and damping. The material that I wish to use is rubber.

My question is, how can we calculate the damping coefficient (c) for the calculation of the term c*dx/dt, when we know the loss factor of the material (for example η=0.075 for rubber) and the geometry of the element is defined.

Thanks in advance.

Vaggelis

Engineering news on Phys.org
Vaggelis said:
My question is, how can we calculate the damping coefficient (c) for the calculation of the term c*dx/dt, when we know the loss factor of the material (for example η=0.075 for rubber) and the geometry of the element is defined.

i remember to have used a damped oscillator and c can be estimated experimentally. one can see the following for measurement...
http://www.engineeringmechanics.cz/pdf/14_1_013.pdf

Related to Damping coefficient in damping mechanisms

1. What is damping coefficient?

Damping coefficient is a parameter that measures the amount of damping present in a damping mechanism. It is a measure of how quickly a vibrating system will lose its energy.

2. How is damping coefficient calculated?

Damping coefficient is calculated by dividing the damping force by the velocity of the vibrating system. It is usually represented by the symbol "c" and is measured in units of force per unit velocity (e.g. Ns/m or kg/s).

3. What is the role of damping coefficient in damping mechanisms?

The damping coefficient plays a crucial role in damping mechanisms as it determines the rate at which a vibrating system will lose its energy. A higher damping coefficient means a faster dissipation of energy and a quicker return to equilibrium, while a lower damping coefficient results in a slower dissipation of energy and a longer time for the system to reach equilibrium.

4. How does the damping coefficient affect the behavior of a damping mechanism?

The damping coefficient affects the behavior of a damping mechanism by influencing the amplitude and frequency of the vibrations. A higher damping coefficient will result in a decrease in the amplitude of the vibrations and a shift towards lower frequencies, while a lower damping coefficient will lead to larger amplitude vibrations and higher frequencies.

5. What factors can affect the damping coefficient in damping mechanisms?

The damping coefficient can be affected by various factors, including the material properties of the damping mechanism, the shape and size of the damping element, and the speed and frequency of the vibrations. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact the damping coefficient.