Damping and Initial Conditions

In summary, the relationship between the damping coefficient of a system and the oscillations in the solution is that a critically damped system will not oscillate but may have a single overshoot depending on the initial conditions. The general solution for a critically damped system is x(t) = e^{-\sqrt{(k/m)}t}(A + Bt) and it will only change sign once if A/B < 0 or not at all if A/B > 0, B = 0 or A = 0.
tomizzo
Hello,

I have a question regarding the solution to a second order 'mass-spring-damper' system. Over the years, I have gotten familiar with the idea of system damping in the sense of under damped, over damped, and critically damped systems.

However, I've began looking closer at the solution to this set up and am somewhat confused on how the initial conditions influence the solution.

Say for example I have a critically damped system. I would assume that the solution contain no oscillations. However, I have a phase-plane representation of the system (image attached) which clearly show there will exist overshoot given a certain set of initial conditions (i.e. when the initial velocity does not equal 0).

So my question is: what exactly is the relationship to the damping coefficient of a system and the oscillations in the solution? How do initial conditions play into this?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    17.9 KB · Views: 477
Physics news on Phys.org
tomizzo said:
Hello,

I have a question regarding the solution to a second order 'mass-spring-damper' system. Over the years, I have gotten familiar with the idea of system damping in the sense of under damped, over damped, and critically damped systems.

However, I've began looking closer at the solution to this set up and am somewhat confused on how the initial conditions influence the solution.

Say for example I have a critically damped system. I would assume that the solution contain no oscillations.

It doesn't oscillate; it overshoots at most once. The general solution is [itex]x(t) = e^{-\sqrt{(k/m)}t}(A + Bt)[/itex]. The exponential is always strictly positive. If [itex]A/B < 0[/itex] then the solution changes sign exactly once in [itex]t > 0[/itex]; if [itex]A/B > 0[/itex] the solution does not change sign in [itex]t > 0[/itex], and if [itex]B = 0[/itex] or [itex]A = 0[/itex] then the solution does not change sign in [itex]t > 0[/itex].

"Oscillation" is characterised by overshooting multiple times.

Related to Damping and Initial Conditions

1. What is damping and how does it affect a system?

Damping refers to the energy dissipation in a system that leads to a decrease in the amplitude of oscillations or vibrations. It is typically caused by friction, air resistance, or other resistive forces. Damping affects a system by reducing the energy of the oscillations and causing them to eventually come to a stop.

2. What are the different types of damping?

There are three main types of damping: viscous damping, Coulomb damping, and hysteretic damping. Viscous damping is caused by a fluid or viscous material resisting the motion of an object. Coulomb damping is caused by dry friction between two surfaces. Hysteretic damping is due to the internal friction within a material.

3. How is damping ratio related to the initial conditions of a system?

The damping ratio, represented by the Greek letter ζ (zeta), is a measure of the amount of damping in a system. It is related to the initial conditions of a system because it affects the rate at which the system returns to equilibrium after being disturbed. A higher damping ratio means the system will return to equilibrium more quickly, while a lower damping ratio means it will take longer for the oscillations to dampen out.

4. What are initial conditions and why are they important in the study of damping?

Initial conditions refer to the starting conditions of a system, including the initial position, velocity, and acceleration. They are important in the study of damping because they determine how the system will behave over time. Different initial conditions can result in different outcomes, such as different amplitudes or frequencies of oscillation.

5. How do initial conditions affect the natural frequency of a damped system?

The natural frequency of a damped system is affected by the initial conditions, specifically the initial displacement and velocity. These initial conditions determine the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations, which in turn affects the natural frequency. A higher initial displacement or velocity will result in a higher natural frequency, while a lower initial displacement or velocity will result in a lower natural frequency.