Damped Simple Harmonic Motion: Solving for Period and Phase Delta

In summary, the homework statement is asking for help with solving a problem involving the period of oscillation of a oscillating system. The attempted solution starts by differentiation with respect to time of the given equation for x(t), which results in x'(t) being given by: \frac{\left( \frac{A_0}{\cos (\delta)}\right) e^{-t/\tau} (\tau \omega ' \sin(\omega' t + \delta)+\cos(\omega' t + \delta))}{\tau}. It is then shown that δ is given by \tan \delta=-\frac{1}{\ome
roam

Homework Statement

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/6503/questiono.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I'm not sure how to approach this part. I appreciate any help to get me started.

(b) I know that the period of oscillation is given by

[itex]T'=\frac{2 \pi}{\omega '}[/itex]

I can use this later on to express my results in terms of the period T'. The one term in the given expression for x(t) that can turn negative as time increases would be the δ in the cosine. So how do I evaluate the right value for the phase delta?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
for first one ,differentiate x(t) wrt time and put velocity so obtained=0 at t=0,perhaps that will do.

andrien said:
for first one ,differentiate x(t) wrt time and put velocity so obtained=0 at t=0,perhaps that will do.

Thanks. I'm still a bit confused. When I differentiated the expression with respect to t I got:

[itex]x'(t)=\frac{\left( \frac{A_0}{\cos (\delta)}\right) e^{-t/\tau} (\tau \omega ' \sin(\omega' t + \delta)+\cos(\omega' t + \delta))}{\tau}[/itex]

I've found x'(0):

[itex]x'(0)=\frac{\left( \frac{A_0}{\cos (\delta)}\right) (\tau \omega ' \sin( \delta)+\cos(\delta))}{\tau}[/itex]But I have to show that δ is given by:

[itex]\tan \delta = - \frac{1}{\omega ' \tau}[/itex]

So I'm not sure, how can do I use the expression for x'(0) to show this?

Did you mean I write down the velocity as:

[itex]v(t)=\omega ' . \frac{A_0}{\cos (\delta)} e^{-t/\tau} \cos (\omega ' t + \delta)[/itex]

[itex]\therefore \ v(0) =A_0 \omega '[/itex]

So, how does this help? :confused:

roam said:
Thanks. I'm still a bit confused. When I differentiated the expression with respect to t I got:

[itex]x'(t)=\frac{\left( \frac{A_0}{\cos (\delta)}\right) e^{-t/\tau} (\tau \omega ' \sin(\omega' t + \delta)+\cos(\omega' t + \delta))}{\tau}[/itex]

I've found x'(0):

[itex]x'(0)=\frac{\left( \frac{A_0}{\cos (\delta)}\right) (\tau \omega ' \sin( \delta)+\cos(\delta))}{\tau}[/itex]

But I have to show that δ is given by:

[itex]\tan \delta = - \frac{1}{\omega ' \tau}[/itex]

So I'm not sure, how can do I use the expression for x'(0) to show this?

ok.you have done it.equate it to zero(because velocity is initially zero) don't you get what is required.

andrien said:
ok.you have done it.equate it to zero(because velocity is initially zero) don't you get what is required.

I'm a bit confused. What do I have to do once I equate that expression to zero?

by equating you will get,
w'(tau)sin(delta)=-cos(delta)
which gives
tan(delta)=-1/w'(tau)

Oh oops I didn't see that part. Thank you so much for the help I really appreciate that!

Any ideas how to approach the second part?

the best way to it will be to draw(or see elsewhere) the graph and judge when x(t) will be zero for first time or just put it equal to zero and find t for first time.the graph is cosine curve ,shifted leftward and with decreasing amplitude.max. negative displacement will occur after first cycle means after when it crosses first zero and see wikipedia for other assistance.

Last edited:
If I want to calculate it. We have by setting it equal to zero:

x(0) = (A0/cos) cos (δ) = 0

So what value do I use for δ? Do I have to use tan δ = 1/ω'τ and then substitute ω'=2π/T'?

I am not saying to put t=0 and then equate x=0.you have to find t by equating it.since
e(-t/tau) can not be zero.cosine part will be zero find when for the first time this will be zero.
cos(w't+delta)=0,and choose cos(pi/2) from here you will get t for first zero.max. negative displacement can be obtained at T'/2 time from the beginning means after
-delta/w'.can you tell the answer so that I can check it.

Related to Damped Simple Harmonic Motion: Solving for Period and Phase Delta

1. What is damped simple harmonic motion?

Damped simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is proportional to the displacement from equilibrium and is also opposed by a damping force. This results in a gradual decrease in amplitude and frequency of the oscillations over time.

2. What are the factors that affect the amplitude of damped simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude of damped simple harmonic motion is affected by the initial displacement, the damping coefficient, and the mass of the object. A larger initial displacement, a higher damping coefficient, and a smaller mass will result in a larger amplitude.

3. How does the damping coefficient affect the motion?

The damping coefficient determines the strength of the damping force, which is responsible for reducing the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations. A higher damping coefficient will result in quicker damping and a shorter period of oscillation.

4. What is the difference between underdamped, critically damped, and overdamped motion?

Underdamped motion occurs when the damping is less than the critical damping value, resulting in oscillations with decreasing amplitude. Critically damped motion occurs when the damping is equal to the critical damping value, resulting in the quickest approach to equilibrium without oscillations. Overdamped motion occurs when the damping is greater than the critical damping value, resulting in a slower approach to equilibrium without oscillations.

5. How does energy change in damped simple harmonic motion?

The total mechanical energy in damped simple harmonic motion decreases over time due to the work done by the damping force. This results in a gradual decrease in amplitude and frequency of the oscillations until the object eventually comes to rest at equilibrium.