Damped harmonic oscillator with a CONSTANT frictional force

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution to a problem involving a block attached to a wall with a spring and only friction as the damping force. The equation used is m(d^2x/dt^2)=-kx-? with the attempt at a solution including a [mu]k and [mu]s term. The solution is found to be z=Acos(sqrt(k/m)t+[phi])-.5[mu]k*gz^2 and the person asks if they are on the right track.
khfrekek92

Homework Statement

There is a block attached to the wall via a spring. The only damping force is friction, where there is kinetic and static.

Homework Equations

m(d^2x/dt^2)=-kx-?

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve this, except usually the damping force is given as (alpha)(velocity) where it is proportional to the velocity, however, this has a (mu)k and a (mu)s. What do I add on to my force equation??

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
So far I have m(d^2x/dt^2)=-k(x-Lo)-[mu]kmg
(d^2x/dt^2)=(d^2z/dt^2)=-kz/m-g[mu]k=-(sqrt(k/m))2z-g[mu]k

Then I find the solution to be z=Acos(sqrt(k/m)t+[phi])-.5[mu]k*gz^2

Am I on the right track?

Thanks!

Related to Damped harmonic oscillator with a CONSTANT frictional force

1. What is a damped harmonic oscillator with a constant frictional force?

A damped harmonic oscillator with a constant frictional force is a system in which a harmonic oscillator, which typically oscillates indefinitely, is subject to a frictional force that acts in the opposite direction of the motion and remains constant throughout the oscillations. This leads to a gradual decrease in the amplitude of the oscillations over time.

2. How does the frictional force affect the motion of a damped harmonic oscillator?

The frictional force acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the oscillator, which leads to a decrease in the amplitude of the oscillations. As the amplitude decreases, the frequency of the oscillations also decreases, resulting in a longer period of oscillation.

3. What is the equation of motion for a damped harmonic oscillator with a constant frictional force?

The equation of motion for a damped harmonic oscillator with a constant frictional force is:

m(d^2x/dt^2) + b(dx/dt) + kx = 0

Where m is the mass of the oscillator, b is the damping coefficient, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement of the oscillator, and t is time.

4. How does the damping coefficient affect the behavior of a damped harmonic oscillator?

The damping coefficient, b, determines the strength of the frictional force acting on the oscillator. A larger damping coefficient leads to a stronger frictional force and therefore a more rapid decrease in the amplitude of the oscillations. A smaller damping coefficient results in a weaker frictional force and a slower decrease in amplitude.

5. Can a damped harmonic oscillator with a constant frictional force ever return to its equilibrium position?

No, a damped harmonic oscillator with a constant frictional force will never return to its equilibrium position. The frictional force acts in the opposite direction of the motion, so the oscillator will continually lose energy and eventually come to a stop at a position other than its equilibrium.