Damped harmonic oscillator and displacement

In summary, the homework statement is that the ratio of two successive maxima in the displacement of a damped harmonic oscillator is constant. Two solutions are found by solving the x equation for x0 and x1. These solutions are maximums and not minimums.
Eric_meyers

Homework Statement

"Show that the ratio of two successive maxima in the displacement of a damped harmonic oscillator is constant."

Homework Equations

x = a e^(-[tex]\upsilon[/tex]t/2) cos ([tex]\omega[/tex]t - [tex]\vartheta[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

So I want to find when this beast has its maximum values, so I take the derivative and set it = 0

x' = -[tex]\upsilon[/tex]*a/2 * e^(-[tex]\upsilon[/tex]t/2) * cos ([tex]\omega[/tex]t - [tex]\vartheta[/tex]) - [tex]\omega[/tex] e^(-[tex]\upsilon[/tex]t/2) * a * sin([tex]\omega[/tex]t - [tex]\vartheta[/tex])

So I set this to 0

and I get

[tex]\omega[/tex] * a * sin([tex]\omega[/tex]t - [tex]\vartheta[/tex]) = [tex]\upsilon[/tex]*a/2 * cos ([tex]\omega[/tex]t - [tex]\vartheta[/tex])

tan ([tex]\omega[/tex]t - [tex]\vartheta[/tex]) = -[tex]\upsilon[/tex]/2[tex]\omega[/tex]

The teacher mentioned to me that from this I'm suppose to realize there are 2 solutions and from that the rest is easy..

but the rest isn't easy!

I don't understand, where and what are my 2 solutions, and from those 2 solutions how do I use them to plug into my original x equation to show that these successive maxima are just = to a constant? And how do I know these solutions are maximums and not minimums?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just look at your expression for x(t). At what value of the cosine does it reach a maximum? What is that maximum? How long must you wait until the cosine reaches its maximum value once more? What is the value of this second maximum? This should get you started.

The value of cosine reaches a maximum when cos = 1 and that occurs when t = 0 and phi = 0. One then has to wait 2(pi)/w for it to reach that maximum value again. The value of this second maximum will be 1 * the new amplitude.

Ah.. so then

x0 = A0 when t = 0 and phi = 0

and

x1 = A1 e^(2*pi * -v / w)

and x0/x1 = A0/(A1 * e^((2*pi*-v)/w)

Which is a constant.

Last edited:
Good job, but isn't A0 = A1 = a, the amplitude?

Wait but I thought in a damped harmonic oscillator the Amplitude decreases with time?

It does, but a is constant. Say the phase theta is zero, to make things simple. Then at time t = 0, the amplitude is

A(0) = a*exp(0) = a

after one period T has elapsed, the amplitude is

A(T) = a*exp(-v T/2)

after two periods have elapsed, the amplitude is

A(2T) = a*exp(-v(2T)/2)

Do you see how it works? The problem is asking "by what number do you have to multiply the old amplitude in order to get the new amplitude?"

Related to Damped harmonic oscillator and displacement

1. What is a damped harmonic oscillator?

A damped harmonic oscillator is a system where a mass is attached to a spring and is subject to a damping force, causing it to eventually come to rest. The damping force is usually proportional to the velocity of the mass, resulting in a decrease in amplitude over time.

2. How does the damping affect the motion of a harmonic oscillator?

The damping force acts to decrease the amplitude of the harmonic oscillator's motion, causing it to eventually come to a stop. This means that the oscillation will have a smaller amplitude and shorter period compared to an undamped harmonic oscillator.

3. What is the equation for the displacement of a damped harmonic oscillator?

The displacement of a damped harmonic oscillator can be described by the equation x(t) = Ae^(-bt)cos(ωt + φ), where A is the initial amplitude, b is the damping coefficient, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

4. How does the damping coefficient affect the motion of a damped harmonic oscillator?

The damping coefficient determines the rate at which the amplitude of the oscillation decreases. A higher damping coefficient leads to a faster decrease in amplitude, resulting in a shorter period and smaller amplitude of oscillation.

5. What are some real-life examples of damped harmonic oscillators?

Some common examples of damped harmonic oscillators include a swinging pendulum that eventually comes to a stop due to air resistance, a car's suspension system that dampens the oscillation of the vehicle over bumps, and the vibration of a guitar string that decreases over time due to friction.