Damped harmonic motion question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time when the maximum negative displacement occurs in a damped harmonic motion starting from rest at t=0. The equation for this motion is x(t) = A0/cos(delta)*e^(-t/tau)*cos(w't + delta), where w' is the angular frequency, tau is the time constant, and tan(delta) = -(1/w' tau). To find the time, the phase delta must be found first by evaluating x(0) and solving for delta using the given equation. Then, the value of delta can be substituted into the equation to find the time in terms of the period.
aks_sky
A damped harmonic motion starts from rest at time t=0 with displacement A0 has the equation:

x(t) = A0/cos (delta)*e^(-t/tau) *cos (w't + delta)

w' is the angular frequency, tau is the time constant and delta is given by:

tan (delta) = - (1/w' tau)

find the time when the maximum negative displacement occurs. express it in terms of period.

So, Can you just give me a hint on where to start and where to go from there.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Which term in your expression for x(t) can conceivably turn negative as time increases? Is it the exponential or is it the cosine?

That would be the exponential since we have -t in there. So i guess in this case i am supposed to differentiate with respect to t first?

Just wait before you take any derivatives.

[tex]e^{-t}=\frac{1}{e^t}[/tex]

For what value of t is the expression negative?

oh oops i dint see that part. The exponential is going to give me a positive value. How did i forget that. my bad

Do you know where to go from here? The first thing to do is to find a value for the phase delta.

I don't know exactly where to go since i am confused about what it is asking for exactly. And to find the value for delta i will be using the tan (delta) = (1/w' tau) and then i guess i can substitute w' = 2*pi/ T' in there and go from there?

You are given x(t) and you are told that at t = 0, the oscillator is at A0. If you evaluate your expression at t = 0, i.e. find x(0), is it equal to A0 or is it equal to something else?

ohhh i see.. no problemo.. thank you

Related to Damped harmonic motion question

What is damped harmonic motion?

Damped harmonic motion is a type of motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point, while also experiencing a damping force that gradually decreases the amplitude of the oscillations over time.

What is the equation for damped harmonic motion?

The equation for damped harmonic motion is x(t) = A*e^(-bt)*cos(ωt + φ), where x(t) represents the displacement of the object at time t, A is the initial amplitude, b is the damping constant, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

What factors affect the damping force in damped harmonic motion?

The damping force in damped harmonic motion is affected by the damping constant, which can be influenced by factors such as air resistance, friction, and the material properties of the object.

How does the damping coefficient affect the motion of an object in damped harmonic motion?

The damping coefficient, or damping ratio, determines the rate at which the amplitude of the oscillations decreases. A higher damping coefficient results in faster damping and a shorter period of oscillation, while a lower damping coefficient allows for longer periods of oscillation.

What is the difference between underdamped, critically damped, and overdamped motion?

Underdamped motion occurs when the damping coefficient is less than 1, and the object continues to oscillate with a decreasing amplitude. Critically damped motion occurs when the damping coefficient is equal to 1, resulting in the fastest decrease in amplitude without any oscillations. Overdamped motion occurs when the damping coefficient is greater than 1, causing the object to return to its equilibrium position without any oscillations.