Damped Driven Harmonic Oscillator

In summary, the author claims that you can solve for A by taking the laplace transform of z and rewriting it in terms of Euler's Formula and Argand Diagrams.
AbigailM
Just have a few questions regarding the method of solving the damped-driven harmonic oscillator.

Once we have rewritten the differential equation in terms of z and it's derivatives, we try a solution [itex]z(t) = Ce^{i \omega t}[/itex]. When we sub in z and it's derivatives we then rewrite the complex constant C as [itex]Ae^{-i \delta}[/itex]. My book says that we can do this for any complex number. Why is this?

When we solve for A and sub that into [itex]C=Ae^{-i \delta}[/itex] we find
[itex]f_{0}e^{i \delta}=A(\omega_{0}^{2} - \omega^{2} +2i \beta \omega)[/itex].
My book says we can then rewrite [itex]\delta[/itex] as [itex]\delta=tan^{-1}\left(\frac{2\beta\omega}{\omega_{0}^{2}-\omega^{2}}\right)[/itex]. Could someone please explain this? The right triangle explanation is confusing me.

Thank you all.

Physics news on Phys.org
I asked a question about this on another forum. I never got an answer, but I know the answer involves taking the laplace transform...

we can write any complex number in the form z = re^ig
thus they have just written that complex number in a convenient form for them.
that g (which i am using as my argument for the exponent) is just the angle in the polar representation of a complex number. thus it can be calculated from trigonometry if we know the adjacent and opposite sides of the triangle. this is where the arctan thing comes in.

Do you know how to draw Argand Diagrams? if so, do that for every complex number you see in the derivation and hopefully your trig training will kick in and help you.

hope that helps mate.

AbigailM said:
When we sub in z and it's derivatives we then rewrite the complex constant C as [itex]Ae^{-i \delta}[/itex]. My book says that we can do this for any complex number. Why is this?
Do you know about the trigonometric representation of complex numbers and Euler's formula?
For you case, it will be:
[itex]e^{-i \delta}=cos\delta - i sin\delta[/itex]
You can use this to solve your equation and find δ.

Awesome that makes sense, I think I'm clear on now. Thank you all for the help!

Related to Damped Driven Harmonic Oscillator

1. What is a damped driven harmonic oscillator?

A damped driven harmonic oscillator is a system that experiences oscillatory motion due to an external driving force, while also experiencing damping (loss of energy) from its surroundings.

2. What is the equation of motion for a damped driven harmonic oscillator?

The equation of motion for a damped driven harmonic oscillator is: m x'' + b x' + kx = F(t), where m is the mass of the oscillator, b is the damping coefficient, k is the spring constant, and F(t) is the driving force.

3. How does damping affect the motion of a damped driven harmonic oscillator?

Damping affects the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations of a damped driven harmonic oscillator. A higher damping coefficient results in a smaller amplitude and a lower frequency of oscillation.

4. What is resonance in a damped driven harmonic oscillator?

Resonance occurs when the frequency of the driving force matches the natural frequency of the oscillator. This results in a large amplitude of oscillation and can lead to the system becoming unstable.

5. How is a damped driven harmonic oscillator used in real-world applications?

Damped driven harmonic oscillators are used in many real-world applications, such as in mechanical engineering for shock absorbers and dampers, in electrical engineering for electronic filters, and in physics for studying vibrations and waves.