Angular momentum in close binaries

In summary, the formula for calculating the angular momentum of close binaries is L = M_sM_p(GD/M)^1/2. However, this formula may not always hold true due to factors such as angular momentum loss through gravitational waves and stellar winds. A young diesel mechanic named Winthrop Spencer Flibberdigit has written books on this topic, including "Dangers of the Spiral Galaxy - Fifty Bucks to Clean the Cab."
Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Does anybody know how the angular momentum of close binaries was calculated as:

[tex] L=M_sM_p(\frac{GD}{M})^\frac{1}{2} [/tex]

This is something which is plaguing me so any input would be appreciated.

[tex]M=M_s+M_p[/tex], D= total separation between the two stars.

Thanks guys

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Kurdt said:
Does anybody know how the angular momentum of close binaries was calculated as:

[tex] L=M_sM_p(\frac{GD}{M})^\frac{1}{2} [/tex]

This is something which is plaguing me so any input would be appreciated.

[tex]M=M_s+M_p[/tex], D= total separation between the two stars.

Thanks guys
Don't know if that formula always holds as there is almost always angular momentum loss in close binaries with either filled Roche Lobes or actual mass transfer. Too many types (variables) of binary stars to lump into one category. Take a look at: http://www.rri.res.in/ph217/binary.pdf and:
http://www-astro.physics.ox.ac.uk/~podsi/lecture11_c.pdf for a lot on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I know the gravitational waves leak angular momentum away from the system and also stellar winds from the secondary trapped in magnetic loops. The momentum equation should hold as the radius of orbit changes when the angular momentum is leaked away thus allowing the secondary to fill its Roche lobe and maintain contact with the L1 point. I will have a look at the links though, thanks for replying.

Ahh. Forgot I posted this. I managed to work it out and for anyone who was interested here's the derivation.

First we start with summing the [tex] \mathbf{v}\times \mathbf{r} [/tex] for each star in the system. This gives.

[tex] \mathbf{L_{orb}} = M_sr_sv_s\mathbf{e}_k+M-pr_pv_p\mathbf{e}_k[/tex]

now [tex] v_s=r_s\Omega [/tex] and similarly for the primary also we can substitute [tex] r_s=\frac{M_p}{M}D [/tex] into the equation and again a similar relation is found for the primary to yield.

[tex]\mathbf{L_{orb}} =(M_s\frac{M^2_p}{M^2}D^2+M_p\frac{M^2_s}{M^2}D^2)\Omega\mathbf{e}_k[/tex]

and manipulation gives

[tex]\mathbf{L_{orb}} =\frac{M_sM_p}{M^2}D^2\Omega(M_s+M_p)\mathbf{e}_k[/tex]

[tex](M_s+M_p)=M[/tex] and [tex]\Omega=(\frac{GM}{D^3})^{1/2}[/tex]

So

[tex]\mathbf{L_{orb}} =\frac{M_sM_p}{M^2}D^2(\frac{GM}{D^3})^{1/2}\mathbf{e}_k[/tex]

[tex]\mathbf{L_{orb}} =M_sM_p(\frac{GD}{M})^{1/2}\mathbf{e}_k[/tex]

Last edited:
Kurdt,

The angular momentum of close binaries was calculated by a modest young diesel mechanic working in a sheltered workshop in Yorkshire. The young man - Winthrop Spencer Flibberdigit has since gone on to write some fascinating books released in sanskrit by "Absolutely No Frills and Assoc. Publishers". Here's just a short list of his books to date:

"The Peripatetic Life of the Sandwich Island Penguins"

"Low Orbital-Decibel ratios of Semi-Diametric Rolling Hub Caps"

"Desperate and Dateless Conversations - How My Electromagnetic Spectrum Theorem sent my Lover into a Coma"

"Dangers of The Spiral Galaxy - Fifty Bucks to Clean the Cab"

My pleasure...

DR PINKLINE JONES a.l.s.c.

Thank you for your input Pinkline I shall certainly investigate these publications when I next visit the library. I have several exams in the coming three weeks though so I doubt I will be able to spare any time soon. The titles definitely look interesting.

Last edited:
Would you believe it! I managed to find one of his publications in my own personal library. "Dangers of The Spiral Galaxy - Fifty Bucks to Clean the Cab" is a most interesting journey through the derivation of angular momentum in the andromeda galaxy all on a wild night out. I particularly like the climax when he reaches his conclusions in the taxi on the way home. Also the last chapter about his abduction by aliens is well worth the read alone.

LOL Kurdt - I'm glad you found the book and happy to be of assistance wherever I can in cyber world. But obviously I have to fine you for possessing a sense of humour - that's a very dangerous attribute to have in this mixed up world - people look at you funny.

PINKLINE JONES

Well I may never have to show it again as I think I have learned a valuable lesson to read peoples posts thoroughly first time. So if you don't tell i won't. :smile:

What is Angular Momentum in Close Binaries?

Angular momentum in close binaries refers to the rotational momentum of two stars that are in close proximity to each other. This is an important factor in understanding the dynamics and evolution of close binary systems.

How is Angular Momentum Conserved in Close Binaries?

In close binary systems, the total angular momentum of the two stars remains constant. This means that any changes in the individual angular momenta of the stars must be offset by changes in the other star's angular momentum to maintain the total angular momentum of the system.

What is the Importance of Angular Momentum in Close Binaries?

Angular momentum plays a crucial role in the evolution of close binary systems. It affects the orbital period, mass transfer, and eventual fate of the stars in the system.

How is Angular Momentum Transferred in Close Binaries?

Angular momentum can be transferred between the two stars in a close binary system through various mechanisms, such as tidal interactions, magnetic braking, and mass transfer. These processes can lead to changes in the orbital period and the rotational velocities of the stars.

What Are the Effects of Angular Momentum on Close Binary Evolution?

The conservation of angular momentum in close binaries can result in the synchronization of the stars' rotational and orbital periods, as well as the spin-orbit alignment. This can have significant impacts on the evolution of the stars, such as affecting their mass loss rates and potential for supernova explosions.