D0 decays to K+/K- (CKM suppression)

• Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the D^0 \rightarrow K^+ \pi^- and D^0 \rightarrow K^- \pi^+ decays, noting that the former is doubly Cabibbo suppressed while the latter is Cabibbo favored. The ratio of the branching ratios for these decays is calculated and compared to values found in the PDG and LHCb publications. The conversation also mentions the inclusion of higher order contributions and mixing effects which may affect the observed ratios.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I was looking at the [itex]D^0 \rightarrow K^+ \pi^-[/itex] and [itex]D^0 \rightarrow K^- \pi^+[/itex].

The first is doubly Cabbibo suppressed whereas the other is Cabibbo favored.
I got the ratio:
[itex]A= \frac{Br( D^0 \rightarrow K^+ \pi^-)}{Br(D^0 \rightarrow K^- \pi^+)} = \frac{|V_{cd}|^2 |V_{us}|^2}{|V_{cs}|^2 |V_{ud}|^2} \approx 0.002863(12)[/itex]
I used the values given for [itex]V_{ij}[/itex] from wikipedia .
I then checked the pdg for the appropriate decay rates :
[itex]Br( D^0 \rightarrow K^+ \pi^-)= 1.380(28) \times 10^{-4}[/itex]
[itex]Br( D^0 \rightarrow K^- \pi^+)= 3.88(5) \times 10^{-2}[/itex]
From which I got their ratio:
[itex]A \approx 0.00356(9)[/itex]

I was wondering why these ratios are not equal?

Physics news on Phys.org
For an exact calculation you have to consider higher orders. Those are very messy for charm decays.
For experimental observations, you also have to take mixing into account. The ##D^0## can go to ##\overline {D^0}## and then decay via the Cabibbo favored decay, which looks exactly like the suppressed decay. Then you also add interference between mixing and decay and you get a parabolic shape of this measured branching ratio as function of time.

LHCb has the most sensitive measurement so far.
Publication 1
Publication 2
Overview note

Likes vanhees71
mfb said:
, you also have to take mixing into account. The D0D^0 can go to D0¯¯¯¯¯¯\overline {D^0} and then decay via the Cabibbo favored decay, which looks exactly like the suppressed decay.

So you think that the pdg's values take into account the [itex]D^0 (\rightarrow \bar{D}^0 )\rightarrow K^+ \pi^-[/itex]?
I'll have a look at your citations.

They have separate groups for the rare decay: total, via DCS, via ##\overline {D^0}##. Not sure how they handle interference.

Where is the point in the non-interactive version:
http://pdg8.lbl.gov/rpp2014v1/pdgLive/Particle.action?node=S032
http://pdg8.lbl.gov/rpp2014v1/pdgLive/BranchingRatio.action?parCode=S032&desig=50

Looks like the LHCb estimate is not included yet. You can also have a look at the Heavy Flavor Averaging Group.

Last edited by a moderator:
Judging from the LHCb results, the ratio ##R(t)## has a minimum value ##R_D## which is still larger (##3.568 \times 10^{-3}##) and that gets larger with time because of the D-Dbar oscillations. So in fact the oscillations would lead in a higher [itex]A[/itex] than the one I obtained from pdg...and so even larger from the one I obtained from the CKM... So I guess the main difference is because of higher order contributions to those diagrams...

If you also include approximations to the theoretical predictions, like the zero recoil form factors for the transitions (assuming factorization), then you have in addition to the CKM ratios, ##\left(\frac{f_{D\pi}}{f_{DK}} \frac{f_K}{f_{\pi}}\right)^2##

from http://arxiv.org/pdf/0907.2842v1.pdf and decay constant ratios from PDG vals http://pdg.lbl.gov/2014/reviews/rpp2014-rev-pseudoscalar-meson-decay-cons.pdf

I get ##0.00309508 \pm 0.000428392##

Then there's factorization violating stuff too.

Likes ChrisVer

Related to D0 decays to K+/K- (CKM suppression)

1. What is CKM suppression in the context of D0 decays to K+/K-?

CKM suppression is a phenomenon in particle physics where the decay rate of a particle is suppressed due to the smallness of the Cabibbo-Kobayashi-Maskawa (CKM) matrix element that governs the transition from one quark flavor to another. In the case of D0 decays to K+/K-, the decay rate is suppressed due to the smallness of the CKM element involving strange and charm quarks.

2. Why are D0 decays to K+/K- important for studying CKM suppression?

D0 decays to K+/K- are important for studying CKM suppression because they provide a way to measure CKM elements that are not accessible through other processes. This helps to further our understanding of the CKM matrix and its role in the Standard Model of particle physics.

3. How does the measurement of CKM suppression in D0 decays to K+/K- contribute to our understanding of CP violation?

CP violation is a phenomenon in particle physics where the laws of physics are not symmetric under the combined transformation of charge conjugation (C) and parity (P). The measurement of CKM suppression in D0 decays to K+/K- helps to probe CP violation by providing information about the relative phases of CKM matrix elements.

4. Can CKM suppression in D0 decays to K+/K- be observed experimentally?

Yes, CKM suppression in D0 decays to K+/K- has been observed experimentally by several experiments, including the LHCb experiment at CERN. These experiments have measured the branching fraction and other properties of these decays, which are consistent with the predictions of the Standard Model.

5. Are there any future experiments planned to study CKM suppression in D0 decays to K+/K-?

Yes, there are several future experiments planned to study CKM suppression in D0 decays to K+/K-. These include the Belle II experiment in Japan and the LHCb Upgrade at CERN, which will have improved sensitivity and precision in measuring these decays and their properties. These experiments will help to further our understanding of CKM suppression and its role in the Standard Model.