The Origin of Venus's Retrograde Rotation: A Collisional Hypothesis

In summary, the nature of rotational force on celestial bodies is a combination of inertia and gravity, with some extreme cases being locked rotations and revolutions. The rotation and revolution periods of each planet can be found on various websites and the initial impetus for a planet's rotation is believed to be the rate of impacts during its formation. The rotational period of a planet can also reflect its development history and can be affected by collisions with other large masses. The original axis of a planet can be determined through conservation of angular momentum and any deviations from the norm can be attributed to collisions.
ion
A simple question,but to which I can't find a ready answer.

What is the nature of this rotational force that affects all celestial bodies? What was the initial impetus? How does physics explain it?

Thank you,
ion

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should try to clarify the term "rotational force". However rotations and revolutions of celestial bodies are in general a combination of inertia and gravity. In some extreme cases (e.g. our moon), the rotation and revolution periods are locked, so we always see the same face.

I know what you mean, I've been trying to figure this out as well.

I've come across this site which details the rotation time of each planet on it's axis plus the revolution time around the sun. The revolution time of each planet is as expects ie it increases the closer a planet is to the sun. Check this site out for exact figures
http://www.marsdenshs.qld.edu.au/subjects/science/junior_science/astro/solar.html

Also another thread that might interest you is
[URL]https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/topic/1689-1.html

Hopefully someone might be able to give us a full explanation. At best I would guess a planets rotation was initiated/set by the rate of impacts on the planets surface during the creation of our solar system.

Silvershadow

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Silvershadow
I know what you mean, I've been trying to figure this out as well.

... At best I would guess a planets rotation was initiated/set by the rate of impacts on the planets surface during the creation of our solar system.

Silvershadow

The above is very true. Many people's idea of the formation of the solar system is of 9 planets forming simply from a cloud of swirling gas orbiting the Sun. However, the system was much more dynamic than this, with proto planets colliding, enormous collisions with other large masses etc. The rotational period of a planet reflects their development history, as well as, in the case of the Earth, the effect the moon has slowing us down.
Venus was tipped almost upside down in its early history and spins very slowly the opposite way to all the other planets! Uranus is on its side too, due to collisions.

Venus was tipped almost upside down in its early history and spins very slowly the opposite way to all the other planets! Uranus is on its side too, due to collisions

Just out of interest how do astronomers know what the original axis of the planet was?

Silvershadow

Conservation of angular momentum. As the initial gas and dust cloud collapsed, it would have spun faster and faster, in one direction determined by any tiny initial angular momentum. (like an ice skater pulling in her arms)

Venus, or any other planet for that matter, formed by gravitational attraction of particles, in this collapsing swirling mass. It is not possible, for it to have formed from matter with a different orientation of angular momentum than the rest of the Solar system. Hence, it must have been tipped upside down by a huge collision to account for it spinning on it's axis in a different direction to all the other planets.
:smile:

1. What is the "Nature" of this pristine force?

The "Nature" of this pristine force refers to the fundamental characteristics and behaviors of the force, such as its origin, properties, and interactions with other forces and matter.

2. How does this pristine force impact the natural world?

This pristine force plays a crucial role in shaping the natural world, from the formation of galaxies and stars to the behavior of subatomic particles. It is responsible for the structure and functioning of the universe at every level.

3. Can this pristine force be harnessed or controlled by humans?

Currently, there is no way to directly control or harness this pristine force. However, scientists are constantly studying it and developing theories and technologies that can manipulate its effects, such as nuclear power and particle accelerators.

4. How does this pristine force relate to other forces in the universe?

This pristine force is one of the four fundamental forces in the universe, along with gravity, electromagnetic force, and strong nuclear force. It interacts with these other forces to shape the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

5. Is there a limit to our understanding of the "Nature" of this pristine force?

As with any scientific inquiry, our understanding of the "Nature" of this pristine force is constantly evolving as we discover new information and develop new theories. There may always be aspects of this force that we do not fully understand, but through continued research and advancements in technology, we can continue to deepen our understanding of it.